value of a idi

coryfast

Reaction score
I was needing the opinion of what i should sell my motor for i have a 93 7.3 non turbo with 230k on it the lower end was redone 30k ago and have no problems with the motor the only thing needing done is the return line kit but i have a 97 powerstroke that i will be putting in it this summer and was wondering what i should be asking for the motor.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would say about a doller, when can i pick it up:D

i am planning on buying one from doublesdiesel for 500 complete but it is a little older and a 6.9 to give you a starting point. his diesel sounds like a decent deal as long as it runs ok LOL

yours isent a turbo engine but it might be worth a bit more because it is newer.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question...what Old Mr. Bill asked about what you mena by bottom end work. Otherwise its value is determined by...was the SCA maintained? If so can you prove it? Can someone hear the engine run? How was the oil pressure? Did it start pretty easily? A good running IDI is worth what someone will pay for it. If it were me, if it was a good runner, I would spend maybe 500-1000 bucks depending on how badly I wanted the motor and how much you could make me believe it was a good one. I know you're not trying to rip anybody off but don't expect to get rich off an IDI with that many miles and of an unknown history. Just my 2 cents.

coryfast

Reaction score
not trying to get rich and i understand it has alot of miles. i am installing a powerstroke and so i dont need the idi and not gonna let it go to waste just setting around. thanks for the input thats about what i figured it was somewhere around 500-1000.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think a well running motor is definitely worth that at least...good luck cause you will get that from the right guy/gal.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not trying to get rich and i understand it has alot of miles. i am installing a powerstroke and so i dont need the idi and not gonna let it go to waste just setting around. thanks for the input thats about what i figured it was somewhere around 500-1000.
If the buyer sees/touches/feels/hears the motor running right before purchase, you could get near the 1k mark.
Once the motor is removed from the chassis, the value drops quickly. Why? you won't be there to "stand behind it" on your promise of functionality. I've bought many trucks below the 1k mark just for the motor.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To stay on topic...yah what everybody else said...now just cuz I'm being nosy...you're going to put a powerstroke motor in the '93 truck that the IDI came out of cuz it needed return lines? I'm figuring you musta got a heck of a deal on the powerstroke to go through all that trouble; you'll have to keep us posted though. I've always thought that would be a tremendous job because of all the wiring (for computer etc) that would be involved.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less than what a 6.9 of equivalent condition and milage would be. That 230K number is going to scare most buyers. I'd give 300-400 for it.

coryfast

Reaction score
yeah i got a good deal i think the truck had no title and he has sold the doors and fenders but the bed is perfect and mine is rusted out i bought the whole truck for 2k with 160k on the motor and that was cheaper than adding the banks or ats kit it will be alot of work but since i will have the complete truck i shouldnt have to much trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent