Valley pan install

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that read my just shoot me thread, you saw the trouble I've been through the last couple of weeks. Well I'm still here so nobody shot me yet, my wife was tempted though.:shoot:

My heads are back on but these valley pan instructions are crap and it doesnt say how or what to use to seal the open water jackets on each side of the intake ports. I'm ready to put it on in the morning and get this thing running. Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't remember there being any water passages to the manifold.....
Use black rtv on the front and rear.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember there being any water passages to the manifold.....
Use black rtv on the front and rear.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, my 7.3 heads have little freeze plugs between the intake ports but my 6.9 has open coolant passgaes, just curious how to seal them up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
RTV applied thick enough to be sure its covered well. My favorite is Permatex Ultra Copper Plus. Its a primer red color and is the best I have ever used. Have used it on my engines since 1996. Never a leaker either. Are these coolant passages smooth bored or still ruff looking.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a pic would help!
i didnt encounter anything like this when i did my valley pan.
i was looking for them to, mine had freeze plugs.

when you place that 3/16 bead of RTV on the ends, wait 15-20 minutes before instal, allow time for it to tach up.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a pic would help!
i didnt encounter anything like this when i did my valley pan.
i was looking for them to, mine had freeze plugs.

when you place that 3/16 bead of RTV on the ends, wait 15-20 minutes before instal, allow time for it to tach up.

I dont know how to post pics, maybe someone can give me some tips.

I'm just more curious as to where to put the RTV, over the holes, around them?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV applied thick enough to be sure its covered well. My favorite is Permatex Ultra Copper Plus. Its a primer red color and is the best I have ever used. Have used it on my engines since 1996. Never a leaker either. Are these coolant passages smooth bored or still ruff looking.

Smooth bored as far as round? Ruff looking and not round.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the instructions that came with my valley pan. Those coolant ports were plugged in model year '89 according to the instructions. I had my machine shop thread them and install pipe plugs because I didn't want to deal with the potential for leaks there.

Attachments

• Image (10).jpg
    Image (10).jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Image (11).jpg
    Image (11).jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Image (12).jpg
    Image (12).jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Image (13).jpg
    Image (13).jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Image (9).jpg
    Image (9).jpg
    347 KB · Views: 97

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing confusing about the instructions that I can see. Just do as it say's. With pipe plugs/cup plugs installed in the water ports, it clearly say's NO sealant is required. Waker T 95 is just a Brand name RTV which is a Hi temp RTV, just use any Hi temp RTV across the gasket ends like the instructions say. No sealer is needed around the intake ports, or mthe water passages. Intake manifold gaskets are a ONE time use. It's important to Torque it to Specs. and sequence.Torque bolts to 33 Ft lbs. Do yourself a favor and get the Haynes Techbook #10330, available at most parts stores. I personally tighten The bolts in two sequences, first to 15 ft lbs then to 33 ft lbs.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 80

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing confusing about the instructions that I can see. Just do as it say's. With pipe plugs/cup plugs installed in the water ports, it clearly say's NO sealant is required. Waker T 95 is just a Brand name RTV which is a Hi temp RTV, just use any Hi temp RTV across the gasket ends like the instructions say. No sealer is needed around the intake ports, or mthe water passages. Intake manifold gaskets are a ONE time use. It's important to Torque it to Specs. and sequence.Torque bolts to 33 Ft lbs. Do yourself a favor and get the Haynes Techbook #10330, available at most parts stores. I personally tighten The bolts in two sequences, first to 15 ft lbs then to 33 ft lbs.

My kit came with zero instructions as far as sealing the coolant ports but since mine are open, I'm going to run down and get some good Permatex sealant and put around those areas.
Thank you for the pic.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kit came with zero instructions as far as sealing the coolant ports but since mine are open, I'm going to run down and get some good Permatex sealant and put around those areas.
Thank you for the pic.
ken- the reason why I suggested the spray Hylomar is for two reasons.
one. you are coating a steel shim gasket a light coating will more than suffice. the surface area is enormous once it is clamped down, so a little will go a long way.
two. the last thing you want is the silicone ************* in the intake runner areas, when they break off, who knows what kind of damage will ensue.
DO USE A LIBERAL AMOUNT OF RTV ON THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE MANIFOLD GASKET. it is designed that way.
I don't believe in a one type of sealant. there are many out there for different applications. a clear understanding on the uses and drawbacks go a long way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online