Vacuum pumps

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Just in case no one remembers my tranny woes, The C6 in my F-250 no longer provides forward movement. This has me stuck driving my F-150, very depressing. Anyway reverse works just no forward. I havent checked the linkage as the truck is under many feet of snow right now. I was looking around in the ALLDATA program today and daw a bulletin about the vacuum pumps being different from 86 and below to 87 and up. The 7.3 I have is from a 90, could the wrong vacuum pump have helped cause this?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Alright, may have to check the linkage before I go for a new tranny. If the snow ever leaves

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can rebuild that C6 yourself on the kitched table if that turns out to be necessary. If it isn't the linkage, it could be a clogged artery in the valve body, or one of your clutches disintegrated. Sift throught the fluid in the pan and see what kind of parts if any you find.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Yea thats good to know, the fluid is full and doesnt look/smell burnt. It just doesnt go forward, I'm thinking clutches. This truck sat for a long time with no engine in it and no torque converter. I'm thinking it may have got some moisture in there. So a rebuild like I could order out of Summit (generally for a gasser I assume) would work for my diesel? How about a gasser shift kit?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyde when i purchased my truck it had a bad trans that was doing the same thing as yours. i tore it apart and all the clutches in the forward clutch pack were welded together, i had to take it out in one whole unit. if you put it in gear and try to put it back in park do you hear the parking pawl grindind on the catch? and you have to give it a second to let the rpm's drop before it will go into park? i was told by a very good friend that it is very important for the vrv to be set right, because if the vrv isnt working right the modulator isnt working right and can cause excessive line pressure in the trans. i dont know how true that is because im not a trans man but he is. i tore the trans down put a over haul kit in it and a new torque converter and thats been about two years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle