Vacuum pump...

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the bearing on my vacuum pump went... i got a new one and put it on and the truck seems to run smoother and start better. is is my imagination or does the pump have somethin to do with the fuel flow.:confused:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yep^^^. trace the vac line. it splits off to the vacuum warning light (probably doesnt work), your heater core, cruise and then winds up at that ********* thing behind your master cylinder. Now if the bearing was seized up real bad could it make it harder to start by providing more resistance via the belts? i dont have an answer to that.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep^^^. trace the vac line. it splits off to the vacuum warning light (probably doesnt work), your heater core, cruise and then winds up at that ********* thing behind your master cylinder. Now if the bearing was seized up real bad could it make it harder to start by providing more resistance via the belts? i dont have an answer to that.

I don't think it would be enough to "feel" plus if it was that bad it would most likely slip or smoke the belt.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a secret oil-fill/check-plug on all of these belt-driven vacuum-pumps.

Hardly anyone knows such a plug exists, let alone takes the time to check or change the oil, hence the many pumps dying an untimely death. ;Sweet

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hardly anyone knows such a plug exists, let alone takes the time to check or change the oil, hence the many pumps dying an untimely death. ;Sweet

Most people I know drain the stock oil and replace it with synthetic.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil drain and fill on vacuum pump

I didn't know about this either. Does anyone have any pictures?

Thanks,
Archie

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score

News to me!!!

Where is this thing?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
News to me!!!

Where is this thing?

You have to remove the unit from the engine to get at it = no biggie.

Once you have it out in the daylight, there is a bolt-head (10MM-maybe ??)on the backside of the pulley-shaft/bearing housing, immediately behind the shaft.

The pump is very simple, with only two shaft bearings, an eccentric "cam" on the shaft, and a seperate "rod" that rides on the cam and works the diaphragm.

The diaphragms are also very simple and are ALL the same bolt-pattern and drive-rod size.

Although their outward appearance might vary a little, some having a hose on the diaphragm that others lack, ALL that I have ever seen, be they on a Ford, Dodge, Studebaker, vacuum-over-hydraulic trailer-brake system, whatever, will interchange.

I think only one company makes them all. ;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I'll be pulling mine this weekend for an oil check...

My pump is fairly new, I had no idea there was any oil in there.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt think so... i kinda figred it was just for the brakes. and i found that oil drainw hen i took my old one apart yester day ;Sweet thanks.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I had to replace mine recently. Took me a while to figure out though. My brakes would go manual on me after one press, so I replaced the master cylinder and booster. Still had the problem. And I always had a flickering e-brake light in the dash. Finally my stupid ass figured out that the e-brake light doubles as a low-vacuum light also, so I put a new vacuum pump in and Bam, brakes work like magic! It was a big SOB to take the old one off though. One of the bolts was completely siezed and no amount of PB and time would get it off. I ended up grinding half the head off the bolt to break it loose and then it finally came out of the block.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I really wonder how hard/expensive it would have been for Ford to put a "Vacuum low" light in the dash???

Like the big trucks have for air pressure?

Stupid Ford. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I carry a spare behind the rear seat...:D I found out another interesting thing about these vacuum pumps. They work just fine running backwards as they do running forwrads...:eek: This was pointed out to me at the rally last year by Argve. I had it running the wrong direction on my serpentine belt setup but... It worked fine so... Is there really a proper run direction....:dunno Whattype and weight synthetic oil are you guys running??? This will help others if they choose to change out the oil...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online