Vacuum Pump For Us???

RedTruck

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can find just the diaphram? I've heard they were once available separately. I've hardly ever heard of a case where the bearings went bad.

Thanks Gary!

Paul

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might fit the later Strokes but not ours. Different setup.

Rick

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shaft where the pulley presses on is smaller on those. I had to make one out of two when mine went out. Thats how I found out.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The basic pump looks to be a direct bolt-on.

I have seen dozens of these pumps in all manner of applications and all I ever saw had the same bolt-pattern, same bearing-housing, same diaphragm; some applications orient them differently, but the mounting is the same.

The smaller diameter shaft is new information to me; so far, every one I have had/seen has had the same shaft.

The diaphragm on the pictured pump should fit our pumps.

Note the hose on the diaphragm; some have it, some don't, it makes absolutely no difference in the function of the pump.

Buy at your own risk, though, as I was slightly wrong once before.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really don't need it. I have several pumps that will probably last me a life time. I mostly was posting this for others and trying to see if we have another source for pumps to search thru.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the pump I took off of a 6.9 van had a smaller shaft, so we had a spare for a 6.5 and it was too, I suppose there is no rhyme nor reason to this but it is something to keep in mind. There is wierd ones out there.

zpd307

Reaction score
i pulled the oil plug on old one that locked up. guess what... no oil in it. it was oily as hell on the diaphram part. so i am guessing that a seal went bad. the moral of this story is, bearings can go bad. :backoff

71cc

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can find just the diaphram? I've heard they were once available separately. I've hardly ever heard of a case where the bearings went bad.

Thanks Gary!

Paul

The diaphram from a 6.2 Chevy will bolt on. The chevy pump is driven like a distributor instead of belt drive.It is at the rear of the block where a distributor would be.. Just rob that, unbolt the diaphram and bolt on your drive setup. Be sure not to loose the oil inside the drive unit. The only thing you have to change is to twist the hose barb 90 degrees, it is pressed in. Stroll through the chevy section on your next wrecking yard hunt.