UTI diesel program..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
any gov't funded junoir college or vocational school will do better than the private schools with the slick ADs these days. as far as I heard UNOH is one to look into. Better yet, get a hold of a CAT HR person and ASK who would they look for new hires at.;Sweet

Best advice right there. A buddy of mine was into Ag at school (not my HS, but another). His teacher recommended him to a CAT representative, and they sponsored him. Basically he went to school for free at Portland Community College for their diesel degree, and once he graduated (Spring of last year) he was instantly hired by Halton CAT up in Oregon. I think he's bringing in $18hr + benefits.

i heard nashville automotive diesel college is nice, you actually learn something there.. havnt heard many good things about wyotech and uti, no offense. However, I priced a full program there at NADC (65 weeks i believe?) and it was around 30k..

the one kid i know personally who went there is now a diesel tech in cape, mo. Must make decent money, he's 20 with a lifted, chipped, 06 duramax. i'm thinking about switching my major to CAD and then going to NADC to get a job at ford. i don't know that i want to work behind a computer all the time though.

Part of my engineering transfer degree to UT consists of my ENGR 1304 Class which is AutoCAD and solid works rolled into one. Its neat the stuff you can do with AutoCAD! We were able to download a free student version of AutoCAD with a 3 year subscription to our own computers. Hell I can pull it up right now. Its a full version, just expires in a little less than 3 years (at which point I can download AutoCAD X (whatever they call it) with its own 3 year term). From what I hear, they pull in about the same as above.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I was looking into one of these but dad said if i wanted to do something lilke that to just start full time at the shop. Get paid to go to the classes and learn more from on the job experiance.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was looking into one of these but dad said if i wanted to do something lilke that to just start full time at the shop. Get paid to go to the classes and learn more from on the job experiance.

The problem with that is you either need to know a lot ahead of time, or you need an in on some place. I wouldnt think it would be easy to roll up to a shop and say, nope no schooling, nope never been a hired mechanic, etc.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with that is you either need to know a lot ahead of time, or you need an in on some place. I wouldnt think it would be easy to roll up to a shop and say, nope no schooling, nope never been a hired mechanic, etc.
I never went to a trade school. I started out at the shop sweeping and cleaning. I don't think today's generation is willing to start that low but the lessons learned in keeping a shop clean is priceless and if you do show a spark of intuitiveness, working near the mechanics and shop boss will get you moved up over time. I've worked with some mechanics who obviously didn't start at the bottom because their work area is a disaster.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I never went to a trade school. I started out at the shop sweeping and cleaning. I don't think today's generation is willing to start that low but the lessons learned in keeping a shop clean is priceless and if you do show a spark of intuitiveness, working near the mechanics and shop boss will get you moved up over time. I've worked with some mechanics who obviously didn't start at the bottom because their work area is a disaster.
How do you think I got employed at 14? At the bottom scrubing the bathroom and sweeping the floor. Your right though alot is learned on how to keep your workspace clean

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score

yea thats the way you move up its just so hard to find a place that will hire for even just that where i live you need to know someone or your just a kiss a$$:puke:

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i would not suggest UTI way to over priced plus a year and a half later all u come out with is a certificate saying good job you did it. Anyone around Texas i went to Texas State Technical College in Waco (there are other locations around the state), and instead of a certificate i came out with alot of knowledge and an Associates degree in Auto mechanics, they also had diesel programs and paint and body programs as well as many others.

-Jordan-

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a lurker here for a long time, but I had to jump in on this because it is a sore subject.

If you are willing to work hard for little money, you can almost always get an entry level job somewhere local. Let them pay you to learn for a few years, and then move up to a better position.

When a career requires a special license or certification, then might be no way around it. But most of the mechanics I work with have little or no secondary schooling. Better to be an ace mechanic with no formal education than one of the Wyotech duds who are crowding the job market.

tknomaj

Reaction score
UTI/WYO Tech are a joke!!!!!!! I will not hire anyone who has gone thru their program period. I would look for a community college in your area that has a diesel program and start their. Snap-On offers the 50% discount to all students at community colleges . Go to class pay attention do the home work . Show the Instructors You are serious and ask them for a referal. Most good shops have some ties to the local colleges either from training at the start or for training on new equipment. Most will tell the instructors when they are looking for a new man. Some of the best men I have hired I picked up this way. I run a shop and have a teaching credential in Kali. Have 10 years teaching so I have hired from the schools and refered the best students to the best shops for jobs.

tknomaj

Reaction score
I've worked with some mechanics who obviously didn't start at the bottom because their work area is a disaster.

That is what helpers are for and if You are in My shop Your job is to clean up after me. If I have to stop what I am doing to come over to help You or School You that is the cost of the lesson. I do not believe in Messy floors coolant or oils but after I am done they can clean put my tools away. Old School the mechanics left to go home and helpers stayed behind to scrub floors and put tools away. Received my first ASE in 1978 became Master in 1988 have held it since.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ase tests are dumb. no offence to you, or anyone that has them cause i have two certs, but if you can study for a test and remember it, you will pass their tests. and just cause you can pass a multiple choice test doesnt mean you know how to adjust a ez pedel clutch or manual slack adjusters.

just says i got a peice of paper and a patch that says i know what i am going. HA!

tknomaj

Reaction score
ase tests are dumb. no offence to you, or anyone that has them cause i have two certs, but if you can study for a test and remember it, you will pass their tests. and just cause you can pass a multiple choice test doesnt mean you know how to adjust a ez pedel clutch or manual slack adjusters.

just says i got a peice of paper and a patch that says i know what i am going. HA!

Walk in sit down and take 10 tests with no studying and pass all above 89 percent all in one sitting and then tell me I dont know what I am doing.In the first days of ase testing their were no study books. Never used them My knowledge is in my head. And if You think the ASE tests are Worthless try working with UTI/WYO tech grads. P.S. their Instructors are not that bright either. ASE testing may not be the end all beat all but it does seperate the MEN from the Boy's . You cared enough to sit down and study and take the tests. Possibly even taken classes on new equipment and learned how to work on it . Others do not and play parts darts. A big difference betwen someone whow knows what he is working on and how it works and a parts changer. I am glad You have made efforts with to be with the those who know. and not the others

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726