US Gear Dual Range

70Post455

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1989 Ford F250 with a 5.8 automatic. This truck comes with a US Gear Dual Range overdrive transmission. Has anyone here heard of or had any experience with one of these.
I also was wondering if a person could use this on a diesel engine with some sort of an adapter? or change something out.
Here is a URL for there product. I know this is not a gearvendors overdrive unit, but it looks like they are a pretty nice unit. I am looking at just purchasing the truck for the US Gear Overdrive tranny, and the turnover gooseneck ball and the new tires it has on it. The truck is in great running order and is priced right.
Thanks for any info on these.
http://www.unitedstatesgear.org/dual_range.htm

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U.S. Gear is (or I guess should now say "was") the big competitor to Gear Vendors. Both did the same thing but went about it differently. The strenght of the U.S. Gear was that it went before the transfer case, so you could use it in 4WD. It also was manually shifted. The Gear Vendors is a 2WD only (you can put it on a 4X4 but can't use it in 4X4 mode) solution which has an electric over hydraulic shift, and could shift under load. The GV is easier to install. The U.S. gear had clearance issues with fuel tanks in some wheelbase configurations. I've heard that U.S. Gear has since stopped production of these units, leaving Gear Vendors the only remaining unit of that type. The Road Ranger (brownie box) I think is still available although I'm not sure. That is a manual transmission solution that goes between the bell housing and manual transmission.

RedTruck

Reaction score
The Ranger is available here:

Clicky

The Ranger is just the Ranger. I'm fairly certain the Brownie box is a Brown Lipe 3sp Auxillary transmission used in some older medium duty trucks.

Paul

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Think it was the guys at high impact that I talked to... and they said that a Ranger would not hold up to diesel/towing use...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think it was the guys at high impact that I talked to... and they said that a Ranger would not hold up to diesel/towing use...
ziggseter40/zigg has had one behind his f250's 6.9 for years. if there was a problem he would have dissected it and posted the findings.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are still fully in production and are WAY stronger than a GV. No clutches to wear out. IMO superior in everyway for heavy duty use. GV is for cars.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are still fully in production and are WAY stronger than a GV. No clutches to wear out. IMO superior in everyway for heavy duty use. GV is for cars.

Yea your right. They are for cars... with oh, say 1800 HP?

http://www.gearvendors.com/racing.html

Ever owned one? We have two. The one truck moves 16,000 pounds with it all the time. I bought that one used, and it's never had any clutch problems, or any problems for that matter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It is interesting that some of the folks at GV have eluded to the fact that the cone clutches in the later factory Volvo 740 units were actually stronger than the ones that they currently produce for use in trucks due to enviromental regulations cookoo
That said, having spent a lot of time working on european cars, I've had to repair more than my fair share or laycock overdrive units ( i.e. gearvendors ) and they aren't exactly bulletproof, the things can be down right finicky, and are very unforgiving of bad driving .
Knowing what I do about the things was a primary decider in going with an old brownie box instead. I may be having to do everything custom, but at least I know the gear box is up to the task.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that the J model? I know that GV has licensed the design from Laycock. That's not to say they are exactly the same. They are a seperate company and are allowed to make improvements. I know there have been problems with them. Just like with any other transmission. I know Towcat has eaten some, but I think by and large, those who have them, have few complaints. Of course a good old all gear cast iron transmission is hard to beat, but we all know that no design is perfect, or the best choice for all applications. I've had more problems with my T-19, then I have my GV OD's.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wasn't that the J model? I know that GV has licensed the design from Laycock. That's not to say they are exactly the same. They are a seperate company and are allowed to make improvements. I know there have been problems with them. Just like with any other transmission. I know Towcat has eaten some, but I think by and large, those who have them, have few complaints. Of course a good old all gear cast iron transmission is hard to beat, but we all know that no design is perfect, or the best choice for all applications. I've had more problems with my T-19, then I have my GV OD's.

The early Volvos had the J model, the later ones had the P same as the GV. The early model GV units were J model Laycocks as well. That is the reason that GV will not sell their adapter housings unless you have one of their adapter housings to trade in to them, because they don't want people going out and buying P model laycocks off Volvos and then buying their adapter housings and making their own OD units.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i have a US gear dual range but it is an underdrive. it works well. you have to let off the throttle for it to shift. definitely an all gear setup.

i'm told i can get the gears from US gear to turn in into an OD. it's on my wish list.

70Post455

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I am new to these units and am curious how they work. There is a high and a low button that you press on the shifter lever. I would assume with the overdrive unit that when it is pressed in to high you will have much lower RPM's at highway speeds and in turn should get a little better gas mileage.
I am curious if you use the low ratio if this will give you a lot better towing ability. The truck it is on is an automatic and has a 5.8. The 5.8 is not a bad motor but with this US Gear unit installed will this help the 5.8 tow a trailer a lot easier??? I am not sure what the rear gear ration on the truck is.
Thanks again.
Tom

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
on my truck the USG effectively turns 3.55 gears in 4.56. yes it pulls better. rpm is 500 or so higher at a given speed.

so if i stick it in low from a start and run thru the gears and then hit the button i end up with direct drive 3.55 ration with my C6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online