upgraded injector pump for a 1993 7.3 idi

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i'm new to the forum but i was wondering if anyone new about the upgraded injector pumps such as on alligator performance for the 7.3 idi's and if there were any modifications i would need to do what would it do to the fuel economy and possible damage caused?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I saw those IDI pumps were just stock rebuilds. Idiperfromance.com sells pretty hot pumps. How much power are you looking for?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have not heard of these alligator pumps but I do know about the Moose pump products. The are made by Conestoga Diesel in Pa. Mel Agne owns the shop and is world famous for the products he sells. Call and talk to anyone there. They are a great group of people too. I have used 2 of his pumps over the years and love the life out of them. Never ever buy an ebay cheap pump thats been spray painted. Reasons for painting them is to hide the fact they are not rebuilt but run tested and if they half way meet specs they are sold as a rebuilt product. Thats fraud. Please read the Hall of Shame forum to learn who is the ones to not buy from. These ebay companies did this to themselves by cheating the public with what they sell to unsuspecting customers. Another pump builder is R&D performance. They do some great pumps too. Another member here named typ4 aka Russ can do you a fine pump too . Thanks for asking this question too.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help and i was trying to get around 450 -500 hp right now i'm at about 320 hp but i'm rebuilding in a few weeks so it would be the time to try to get some more out of her.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
thanks for the help and i was trying to get around 450 -500 hp right now i'm at about 320 hp but i'm rebuilding in a few weeks so it would be the time to try to get some more out of her.

Whoa whoa whoa... it's a ridiculously rare event for someone to pull more than 300 horsepower out of these engines. These things aren't Powerstrokes, and extra power is hard to come by. Care to share how you managed it? And your future plans?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i'm new to the forum but i was wondering if anyone new about the upgraded injector pumps such as on alligator performance for the 7.3 idi's and if there were any modifications i would need to do what would it do to the fuel economy and possible damage caused?

Let me see, you must be talking about these here
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/Pumps-s/2288.htm

Just stock rebuilds see where it give's the HP rating! Ya that's it dead stock no upgrade here..nothing to see...move along folks...

Really, you are at 320 HP please empower us with your knowledge and custom build as we would surely like to know what you have done to achieve this. Also what are you plans that you feel will get you to 450 -500 hp?

You say you are about 320HP got a dyno sheet and pics/vids to validate said claim or is this a bench racing amount?

Please do tell us all about what you have done and are doing.

BTW Welcome to OB, you likely should gander at the FAQ and TECH sections and HALL OF SHAME also toss your truck details in your signature so we know year model etc of truck.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Alex G7. Somehow I think you have a powerstroke engine Ford truck. not a idi Ford truck. Those alligator pumps do not fit our engines plus.. you hp quote is much higher than what our engines make in stock form. If you could post a pic of your engine it would help us to help you more easily if we knew what your talking about. Powerstroke engines are a di or direct injection where the indirect injection idi engine is not directly injected fuel to the cylinder. the idi gets the diesel injected into a small precup. then it ignites and blows into the cylinder thru a small port in that cup.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The price seems ok but the reputation is suspect. I have never heard nor seen any posts here about them so I need more info. I finally did check the other pages of pumps offered but see what I think is not a confirmed builder of the pumps. Not really ready to throw this seller or builder under the buss but suspect anyway.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Industrial injection is most definately known as a quality shop. I have seen some of their builds on the YouTube and they have some impressive stuff, and I did not even know they offered an idi pump, as everything I have seen from them is high hp pulling trucks that are usually cummins, powerstroke and duramax. I would still not buy one however because I like my moose products haha

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once you try Moose you'll never turn loose.....:eek::sly;Sweet:angel:
I have used 2 Moose Pumps so far and feel they can't be beaten for what they do. they increase hp and improve fuel mileage. Not something that happens in the hp improvement world ever. Yet Mel has done it and done it well too.

J4TY

Reaction score
Ill back that up... just got my new moose in yesterday! Couldnt be happier... dont know much about alligater, and I understand what your saying about tryin to keep the cost down... But, you get what you pay for, especially when your dealing with the heart of your engine. Good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel at Conestoga Diesel of Pa has several options for upgraded injection pumps. Will they hurt your engine. Maybe if you are not watching the exhaust heat and the coolant temps but. We as a whole tend to drive out rigs carefully. We know the cost of fixing them. Its lots easier and cheaper to fix our engines than it is to fix the newer engines. A set of injecters is about $300.00 for us and well over $1200.00 for the newer diesel truck engines. We can replace a set of 8 injecters in about 2 hours. Not a chance in hell doing that on any power stroke engine. The complete top of the engine must be removed including the valve covers because everything is under them. Not so for us...

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel at Conestoga Diesel of Pa has several options for upgraded injection pumps. Will they hurt your engine. Maybe if you are not watching the exhaust heat and the coolant temps but. We as a whole tend to drive out rigs carefully. We know the cost of fixing them. Its lots easier and cheaper to fix our engines than it is to fix the newer engines. A set of injecters is about $300.00 for us and well over $1200.00 for the newer diesel truck engines. We can replace a set of 8 injecters in about 2 hours. Not a chance in hell doing that on any power stroke engine. The complete top of the engine must be removed including the valve covers because everything is under them. Not so for us...

Yes I like that he's a lot closer too however r&d also has a cam I'm gonna get I think

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I like that he's a lot closer too however r&d also has a cam I'm gonna get I think
You still have not told us what you have done to be at 320 HP level you currently state you are at. I imagine you've got to have done something??:confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online