Upgrade my IDI or buy a new truck?

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advise on whether I should keep my IDI and upgrade it or buy a new truck. I have a stock 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo with 180k miles. I purchased this truck about 3 years ago to tow my rock crawler around. Over the last three years, I've become somewhat attached to it. It's very reliable and in great condition. The only downside to the truck is it's power. When I first started towing, it did okay with about 6,000lbs behind it. However, I recently upgraded to a heaver trailer so now it has to tow an extra 800lbs (6,800lbs total). The extra 800lbs really made a difference in towing performance. The truck feels quite sluggish, especially on any kind of grade. I see two choices, I can either invest into my current truck to add performance, or go out and buy a different truck (maybe a 7.3 powerstroke or a new F150 ecoboost). How much power can I realistically get out of an IDI with performance upgrades? Does it make financial sense to upgrade it or would I be better off buying a powerstroke? I really do love this truck, so if I could add quite a bit more power without spending an arm and leg, I would rather keep it. If I decide to keep it, what mods should I be looking at to get more power?

Here's some pictures of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injection pump on the top of the engine and the injectors that go to each of the cylinders. These items are typically a normal wear item and last around 100k. If your injection system is the original, it may need to be replaced and you will "regain" towing power. Sounds like the IP is wearing out and your truck is losing power.

Hill Jack

Reaction score
Just the sales tax on a new truck could be spent on your good ole truck. New pump and injectors. Then there is the depreciation the first year= turbo. The IDI prolly will not go dwn in value much in the near future.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
If you want to go after some power with your IDI then i would hold out for a couple months on buying anything, especially turbo upgrades. there is about to be some BIG news from R&D IDI performance regarding some AWESOME bolt on turbo upgrades for the factory turbo trucks like yours! new injectors, injection pump, turbo upgrade, and adding an intercooler will make that truck tow your trailer like nothing is back there. R&D IDI makes intake manifolds that make it super easy to feed intercooler piping into the intake and they are also working on making a bolt on IC pipe kit for the factory turbo set-ups!!!!

The IDI Turbocharger Thread
Well Ill elaborate just a bit... but just on the lesser stuff :-X03...

I talked with the company that does my turbo upgrades, and they said it should be fairly easy to put the .82 093 turbine housing on my S362, that means use of the factory/ATS turbo kit from the up-pipes to the down pipe.... I might also upgrade that to a billet wheel while its down there... Billet wheels a said to add 10-20% more airflow, and are around 20grams (depending on the wheel obviously) or so lighter than a cast wheel.

Also said they have some killer options for wheels in stock 093 turbos that will change the game for IDI turbos... Right now the only thing is how much they will cost... Im working on it, and Ill eleborate more when I get some solid info.

As far as the other turbo is concerned... Youll just have to wait :D...
http://idiperformance.com/

nice truck btw. i now know that i need to take the cap off of my truck for sure!!!!

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm a newbie when it comes to upgrade talk LOL. Can you elaborate or link me to products?

I'd imagine jonathan is referring to Mel's (Agnem) Moose pumps. They'll flow more fuel to your injectors. And speaking of injectors, he also sells Moose Misters which have a better spray pattern. Type4 is another member here who rebuilds/improves turbos and has some other interesting goodies including a torque cam from what I hear...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking crewcab. With the amount of miles on the engine its my feelings your injection pump and injecters are well worn past their replacement time. Usually they last around 125,000 miles. Also geting rid of the turbo down pipe wil increase hp. Its a flattened pipe that restricts the exhaust flow out of the turbo. Also installing a 4 inch straight pipe without a muffler will increase the hp. I see you live in the Los Angeles area. I can meet up with you to talk some about whats available to you for a hp increase cheaply. Mostly you need a new injection system. BB code injecters is what we recommend instead of the g code turbo injecters you probably have now... Those were designed for RPA compliance only and were horrible for hp and torque.. I ran them for years till I installed a set of Bb codes from typ4 Russ whos a very good member here for hp and torque gains. Hes in Oregon. Mel is another great source for hp stuff too. He owns Conestoga Diesel Injection in pa.. Great guy...

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
Nice looking crewcab. With the amount of miles on the engine its my feelings your injection pump and injecters are well worn past their replacement time. Usually they last around 125,000 miles. Also geting rid of the turbo down pipe wil increase hp. Its a flattened pipe that restricts the exhaust flow out of the turbo. Also installing a 4 inch straight pipe without a muffler will increase the hp. I see you live in the Los Angeles area. I can meet up with you to talk some about whats available to you for a hp increase cheaply. Mostly you need a new injection system. BB code injecters is what we recommend instead of the g code turbo injecters you probably have now... Those were designed for RPA compliance only and were horrible for hp and torque.. I ran them for years till I installed a set of Bb codes from typ4 Russ whos a very good member here for hp and torque gains. Hes in Oregon. Mel is another great source for hp stuff too. He owns Conestoga Diesel Injection in pa.. Great guy...

This is really helpful, thank you! If you live near by, I'll take you up on your offer to meet up so that you can school me on these IDIs. How much money am I looking at for a good set of injectors and rebuilt pump? It sounds like I should either get them from "typ4" or "Agnem". As for the down pipe, are you guys going with the banks DP that bolts onto the factory outlet (Part# 52103)? What about the factory turbo, should I be looking to get it rebuilt at any specific point? Is there anything I can do to increase boost or performance on that end?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can't expect to get unbiased opinions here,but of course i think we all know,you figured this when posting lol.
that said,you did leave out one of your options (though im not suggesting it necessarily just because im bringing it up) would be to find a psd donor truck and do the swap.seeing how your truck appears to be a solid candidate worthy of such a swap,it should be at least considered.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
My advice Put a Cummins in it!,......;Really

Just kidding,

You have a beautiful truck there, I like the color combo, stock hub caps and unmolested appearance. With a little tweaking it will all be the truck you need for hauling your toy, still be dependable, and at a fraction of the cost of a new Ecoboost.

By all means, take up Gary "icanfixall" up on his input and get together with him, He is a wealth of information and knowledge on these trucks and has the connections to get what you will need.

So far he has given you the best advice, (besides me mentioning the Cummins:D) on what to do, Downpipe, Moose Pump, New injectors, (you dont need Moose Misters) Free up the Exhaust, and maybe the ATS Exhaust Housing for the bigger downpipe.

You really dont have to get the turbo rebuilt unless there is a problem with it.

You will also want to look at Boost and Pyro Gauges to monitor you exhaust temps and turbo boost.

Keep us posted on the progress and Get with Gary, he'll set you up!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there even such a thing as rust in LA? lol. thats a beautiful truck, heres my completely biased opinion. A new ecoboost with all the bells and whistles is maybe 40 gran? Then on top of that your insurance is going to be more, your not going to be able to work on it with ease(not sure if this is just rumour but i hear you cant even change your oil bc that voids the warranty but im not sure on that). And if your not going to pay cash for it youll have monthly bills on it, and i dont know about you but I think thats just uneeded stress. ive heard a straight piped ecoboost and if you closed your eyes youd think it was a stroker....no that doesn't have anything to do with what I just said but i thought Id include that. And for the psd it would be a smaller price tag than a brand new truck thats for sure but the parts on it would be hella pricey compared to the idis parts, and again more difficult to work on.....but thats just my opinion hopefully it helps you out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online