Update on Jasper situation on tick noise

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I had listen to Mel on the first place i wouldn't have wasted my time going there. Now i will buy a comp test before the warranty is gone, about the exhaust valve i do not know how to replace one or how dificult it is but i will check the manuals and see if i can do it by myself. Jasper tech said they pay up to $25/h for the home mechanic, meaning if i do it myself.

Exekiel.

ps- Mel if removing it implies removing the heads, i will then check your manual again.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep to replace the exhaust valve (or any valve) you have to yank the head in question and do it on the bench.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ok question, if i do it then should i at the same time remove the other one? It is a brand new rebuild but at the same time it is giving me trouble.

another question, how do i tell wich head is? removing the exhaust pipe from the turbo like Mel said?

One more, can i drive the truck for the rest of the summer and do it on the winter?

Thank you, Exekiel.

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Now i will buy a comp test before the warranty is gone,

Hey EZ,
I have a compression tester. 0>300 psi. Looks like it has a few different size adapters. Probably standard spark plug sizes. I have no idea what the threads are on a glow plug hole. The Master Mel :hail may know. The only thing I have used it for is motorcycle engines. I don't know what comp our diesel engines are supposed to be? Or if the 300 PSI tester goes high enough. You are welcome to use it if is the appopriate tool.
Charlie

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nope the 300psi won't work for ya. These diesel can generate up to and over 500 psi. You'll need to get a compression checker for a diesel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you Charlie, i still have to check the manual and see if I dear to do it myself. I do not like the idea but it has to be repaired.

Anyway, how long can you drive a vehicle with a problem like this? The mech at IH mentioned not too worried about it, wath he was worried about was my Turbocharger cookoo .

Thank you, Exekiel.

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Thank you Charlie, i still have to check the manual and see if I dear to do it myself. I do not like the idea but it has to be repaired.

Anyway, how long can you drive a vehicle with a problem like this? The mech at IH mentioned not too worried about it, wath he was worried about was my Turbocharger cookoo .

Thank you, Exekiel.

Hey EZ,
Correct me if I am wrong. But didn't your engine problems predate you installing the Turbo? Are they saying the Turbo is causing the tick/miss?
Doesn't seem to add up to me. Seems like they should have done the compression test while they were in there.
Charlie

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Nope the 300psi won't work for ya. These diesel can generate up to and over 500 psi. You'll need to get a compression checker for a diesel.

Thanks for the info Travis. You are right on ;Sweet ;Sweet once again!
Charlie

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Officaly Navistar does not recomend the use of a turbo on a 7.3 or 6.9. Unless it was specificaly designed for it IE a 93/94 model 7.3. So they are all going to tell you that they are worried about the turbo causing problems. They claim the motor can not handle it. Well I worked for them and they used to frown on me because I have always had turbos on mine. Just pull the glow plugs screw in the adapter and hook up the gauge or leak down tester which ever you are using. Just make sure it is a diesel gauge as you will need a gauge that is capiable of 500 - 600 psi without maxing it I use a 1000 psi gauge.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wath they said is that the turbo is producing the excesive blowby trought the rdt, the engine is not for a turbo and will last much less. They don't seem worried about the engine with an exhaust valve not working properly but they where worried about the turbo cookoo.

Now can anybody please tell my if I can drive it like this until the end of this fall so i can fix it then and not now when i want to go drive so many places i like to go when it is warm?

I might have a half garage done by then and can do it under a roof with no rush.

Thank you, Exekiel.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If it is a valve spring you need to take care of it because the spring keeps the proper tension between the valve and seat. The valve does not seal tight and you get exhaut by them and the valve and seat will burn. Then it gets expensive. It sounds to me they are tring to cop out of the warranty by using the turbo as a excuse.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ,

Man don't push your luck with it - get her fixed now before you end up spending more cash later on down the road. I know that you want to play in the summer temps but.... It's a pay me now or pay me LOTS more later type of thing.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Great, it seems like all my engines have catastrofic deads :puke: .

I'll call IH dealer and ask for an estimate on fixing it D Jasper :mad:

Thank you guys for your concern, and you are right better to fix it and keep using later. There are lots of IDI rallys in the future ;Sweet .

Exekiel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke with EZ this morning. Looks like the plan is to do the work here in Moose Valley. LOL After all, surely I need experience changing gaskets on a 7.3 :Sly ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel i cant find the words to thank you, so we'll have to find another way. I could not send my truck to a shop. Well i could but it would hurt too much so i can think of anywhere else it will be treated better than your shop is like the heavens shop for good trucks :angel: . So i'm getting all ready, I will give you another call to find out time and wath else i need to get ready. Also i talked to the guys on Jasper today I lost the signal before mention they will have to pay for the repair but i do remember they telling me they do pay $25/h for the home mechanic so i'll see i have them notice of this.

First i will buy the comp test tool.

Thank you, Exekiel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online