Uh..Oh......Turbo........

kentuckydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo is making noise above about 18psi now. It's not bad, just kind of a whining noise. I couldn't feel any play in the shaft. What are my options?? Thanks, Phillip

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I had the same thing the other day anything from 15-20psi it had a whine that I thought was the impeller hitting the housing and I had a little play in the shaft but not real bad so I started checking other things and my clamps were pretty loose on the 2 orange boots that go to each intake I tightened them up and haven't had any noise since

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Phillip,

Build one of these (local hardware store should have everything).

Remove your intake hose from the intake side of your turbo. Set your air compressor to about 20 PSI and attach this to the intake side of the turbo. WITH THE MOTOR OFF open the 1/4 turn valve and listen for leaks or for your "whine".
Do not do this for more than about 20 seconds (the turbo is spinning without oil).
Check with Bob at http://www.dieselsitetoo.com/ for more info of help.

He is a very nice and very helpful guy.

For what it is worth,

Tom

Attachments

• boostcheck.jpg
    boostcheck.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Most likely have some boost leaks somewhere. Tightening up intercooler and intake manifold clamps usually gets rid of the noise.

Generally these leaks dont show up *whistle, whines, howls* until the turbo is spooled up and boost pressures are high.

kwazyca has a good idea for checking leaks with the engine dead. Just make sure not to spin the turbo for too long--- 30 seconds maximum.

Spray all the joints with soapy water.... that will bring out the leaks you don't hear--- might be surprised at what you find this way. The soapy water can be used on a running engine as well and actually makes things easier by not having to go thru the kwazyca idea if pressed for time.

Impeller and compressor wheels will make noise at any speed or boost if they are hitting the housing--- not to mention they usually dont last very long at full speed and/or load in this condition. Damage on the vane edges will be evident along with lots of play in the shaft bearings.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom,

That turbo checking device is AWESOME! Great idea. Philip, as stated it sounds like a leak, your not intercooled are you? Check all connections.

kentuckydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, not intercooled yet. I thought it was funny, the hopwl kinda came on like someone turned on a switch.

First thing I did was stop and see if I had blown a boot or map hose (no I'm not intercooled yet). All looks well but I didn't check to see if the clamps were tight. I'll check today. BTW, I may go on and try that checking tool. Looks like a good idea. -phillip

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Philip,

I just went through this same thing with my turbo...

I had just gutted my EBPV a couple weeks before so I had an idea of what it might be... I had lost the freeze plug I put in to plug the old shaft hole...

But in the process I replaced all the hoses related to my turbo system... What a difference it made... the whole truck is quieter now.. I agree with the rest of everyone... check for a loose boot somewhere.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you still have an EBPV Phil? That silly thing didnt start to act up did it?

kentuckydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Moremph
phillip's back pressure valve has been removed courtesy of Beddins

Travis

It was removed courtesy of me. It was replaced with an adapter courtesy of beddins. :moon: -phillip

-Deadhorse

Last edited:

kentuckydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!!!!!

You guys were right, just a leak. The gasket stuff blew out of that unsupported area of the drivers side intake. No big deal. :thanks: I was worried that my 240,000mi turbo finally bit the dust, but she's still going strong. -phillip

-Deadhorse

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
After reading your post Phil - I finally got my butt in gear & did some searching myself to find my high pitched squeal & found it on the pass side /front /top of intake plenum at the long bare spot bewteen bolts.

Glad you posted this as I needed to do this & check it out as my leak was getting to come on at lower & lower boost pressure.

What I used was a can of baby powder & poured it all over all the compressor side fittings of the turbo & then take a quick jaunt down the road & got er boosting fairly heavy till the whine was going pretty loud & then looked under the hood for spots where the powder had been blown off in a line. Sure enough you can spot the leaker as easy as can be.

Cheers

Moremph

Too Many trucks
Reaction score
if you look in the lower left corner of this pic http://community.webshots.com/photo/137849279/259289892XCSYNL

you will see our remedy to this problem (please excuse the mess, that was back in test stage)

Basically took a strip of 1/8 steel and drilled holes in it, resealed the intakes and put these under the bolts in the affected area. If you notice the guys having these leaks are early trucks (8bolt heads) the area that seems to be flexing is where thier just happens too be two extra bolts on the 10 bolt heads. This is also the area with the least amount of verticle support from the intake manifold.

ours has held 50 psi for a while now

Travis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online