UD TD42 for a '50 Ford F6

SportsterMark

Reaction score
I have a line on one of these motors with a 6sp tranny for a good price out of a '93 UD1300 (wrecked) with just under 200k miles on it, considering it to power my '50 Ford F6. I'm a gasser guy, so my knowledge of diesels is not extensive and I am always open to learn new things. Anyone have any experience with these motors?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I guess you could make it work.
Hard to search those engines. Somewhat low on power IMO.
There's a guy that put a powerstroke in a truck like that, which is the way I'd go.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

SportsterMark

Reaction score
Well,I'm running a 6:22 rear (actually a 2sp; the low is 8:11) and the tranny is a six speed so I don't think power will be a problem. I am just looking for a way to get it to go highway speeds without the fuel gauge going hard right all the time. I am open to criticisms of the motor, anything specific?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Personally, I don't know anything about them. Just a quick search I did showing power.
Around what price are you getting it for?
It actually has a 6 speed manual trans on it?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

SportsterMark

Reaction score
$1200- from a local shop that does concrete sawing, it was in one of their trucks that was wrecked. It includes the 6 sp manual trans and the frame crossmember with motor mounts and they have guaranteed it will run without any major problems. The owner of the shop decided that he wanted it out of the shop (it has been sitting there for a few months) and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

SportsterMark

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get more of a discussion about this. I am sure there must be at least a few people here who know a thing or two about this motor!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get more of a discussion about this. I am sure there must be at least a few people here who know a thing or two about this motor!

as this being a japanese diesel engine, you may find a few folks here that have worked on them. but not many.
most people here are IH IDI enthusists. here, you gotta be patient to get answers for powerstrokes!
pictures help attract the eye for readers.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've maintained a fleet of 25 UD1800's in the past. they are low on power but they are bulletproof literally. all of them have survived living in San Francisco all their lives with only clutch issues. Not bad at all for a truck that's hot-seated three times a day. Clutch jobs are going t be expensive, they're dual plate and are preset from UD as a kit. More money but way less hassle.

SportsterMark

Reaction score
Thanks, my truck won't be towing anything that weighs more than the original truck did reasonably loaded. In other words, it will haul two motorcycles and a 5th wheel RV. My concerns are simply fuel economy and the ability to maintain a reasonable highway speed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depending on the rear gearing, I don't see a problem with your goals. there are trade-offs to everything in life though, if you want tire smoking HP, you will give up reliability. Most heavy diesels are tuned for longevity. even the IH versions of the PSD, are de-tuned for reliability. you will drop a few gears going up a hill, that is the nature of the beast.

SportsterMark

Reaction score
I'm running a 2sp rear, 6.23 high and 8.11 low. With the stock wheels and a 1:1 final drive in the tranny, Ford rated its top speed at 50 mph. I am guessing that 6th and possibly 5th as well are OD gears in the UD tranny and I am planning on running 9H22.5 tires. As I said, I am merely looking for it to be able to maintain highway speeds, and slower up hills is completely acceptable. It is when I can only do fifty on a flat straight road that is a few hundred miles long that I want to avoid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online