U.S. Gear w/ C6 Adapter steal

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the main control box or switch in his pictures - maybe he has it, but I'd want to check.

Also, word to the wise - there's absolutely no way to tell if one of these is geared as an overdrive or underdrive from the outside other than counting the shaft rotations. Been burnt by this before.....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the main control box or switch in his pictures - maybe he has it, but I'd want to check.
I just sent the seller a message asking him about it. Given that it's "local" (SoCal) and I can drive down there and pick it up as opposed to paying an arm and a leg for shipping, if the price doesn't get too high, I may try to snag it for the electronics and for spare parts.

Does anyone else have any interest in it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I grew up in that town.:angel::thumbsup:. I can offer to check this out but your the person that buys this. I'm just the hands on person saving you the shipping cost. I can arrange to hold this for anyone too. My storage fee is reasonable. For inside storage I like Diet Dr Pepper in the 2 ltr bottles. For outside storage I like getting rid of world hunger and wars with a little free diesel too.:sly

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the seller told me that he has the control box; he hasn't taken it off the vehicle yet and that's why it wasn't pictured. I asked him for a picture once it's been removed. He also said the switch is missing.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, I'm still working on a control system for you - the idea I had to use fuel injection relays for the time delay doesn't really pan out cause the relay I was going to use (k-jetronic volvo) is not available and much harder to find in junkyards than I thought. We're working on putting together a custom control box.

Also be aware that the control for a automatic USG is probably not going to be readily adaptable to a eaton style push-pull switch like you wanted to do - it's set up for a push button momentary switch.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the us gear box but I thought what you did was shift it and wait for a second of two for it to load the spring. then let off the throttle and it shifts into gear...:dunno

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct.

However, the automatic trans setup uses a control switch with a push button that mounts on the trans shifter - push the button once to shift into hi, push it again to shift into low. (similar to the OD switch on the E4OD shifter) The manual on the other hand uses a push pull switch (same as a 2 spd rear end) that mounts on the shifter and is setup where you pull it up for hi and push down for low. The actual shifting works the same way, but the electronics are different with the different style on control switch. If you wanted to use an auto USG control box on a manual you'd wind up having to use the same push button switch and stick it somewhere, of figure out how to cobble up a momentary push button on the manual shifter.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also be aware that the control for a automatic USG is probably not going to be readily adaptable to a eaton style push-pull switch like you wanted to do - it's set up for a push button momentary switch.
I would have thought that they used the same control box for slushboxes as they did for manuals? I know they used different switches, but I thought they went to the same box...

BTW, I've been so busy I can't remember if I mentioned this to either of you before (I'm surprised I remember my own name at times :rolleyes: ), but if you have a chance, you might want to talk to Bruce (suv7734). He PM'ed me a while back with some ideas...I have a feeling that, between the two of you, it could be dangerous ;Sweet

Thank you again for looking into this ;Sweet

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same basic control box and I'm guessing 98% of the electronics would be the same, but based on what I know (never personally looked at a manual USG control box) it's got to be slightly different because the switch is different. (SPDT vs momentary pushbutton)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I'm interested in the box and am local, but if Tim really wants it, I'll wait. I would not bid much for it either.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if it's over or under?
The ad doesn't say, and the seller never told me (OTOH I didn't ask)...someone else may have asked. I suspect it's an under-drive unit, which would explain why it's going so cheap.

Actually, 3.07 gears and an under-drive unit would have the same basic effect as 4.10 gears and an overdrive unit; OTOH then you probably have to deal with regearing it...

Mike, I'm really only interested in it for spare parts and for the electronics, so if you think you're actually going to use it, I'll defer to you. I may beg for an opportunity to take a look at the electronics (or let John play it; I know he's looked into it, but I don't know if he's actually looked at a U.S. Gear module)...

I don't know exactly how it works or what you need to make it all work, but I caught in one of the posts someone needed a timer. Here's some at a reasonable price. It's hard to find them that are 12 volts.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/timedelayrelay.php
I don't know enough about what it needs, but this could really come in handy. John, what are your thoughts on this?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Yeah, I would use it. According to the US Gear website, a "dual range" unit has the ability to go over and under drive, depending on the need, all from the controls.

Now, presuming that it is a complete unit, How much is it worth? I have already asked the seller about picking it up since I am only about 5 miles away from him, he is OK with that. So I can bid a little more than others since shipping is not a concern.

I also have a buddy that is an electronics whizbang (he even got me into IDIs), he should be able to make sense of the control unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online