u joints

treefidy

Reaction score
Ok guys, i now have 137,000 + mile on the ol f 350,7.3, cc,lb, man trans, 4x4, im getting ready to lift it here in a couple weeks. my question is. when can you tell that the u joints are ready to go or need to be replaced? i got down there and shook on them but didnt notice anything wrong. and with that split drive shaft i am worried " because around here it's not uncommon to see a truck on the side of the road with its drive shaft hanging out busted" so any ideas???? things i should look for????

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
had a few truck with over 200k on them, I think 1 or 2 are oringinal on the 96.
on the other hand ive replaced others alot sooner.
also seen alot get tight verses loose, look for rust from around the caps.
also after driving feel for heat, a tight one will get hot.
IMHOP If your worried about the replace them for the cost and the piece of mind
Nick

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto, u-joints are cheap, get the greaseable kind and feel at ease when you leave the driveway.

Last spring I was dropping my front driveshaft, before I did I gave it the shake test, nice and tight. Undid the u-bolts on the joint and tapped the shaft back. Two of the caps fell off the u-joint and the needles fell out, they were so damn dry and rusty it was pathetic. Stock joints @ 160,000 miles, no zerks.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I with the majority, Replace them with new. I battled early joint failure with my 97/ 6" lift until I went to the stealership and bought factory sealed joints. There is a difference, Do yourself a favor and buy originals.

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
Caps and Needle bearing

I found out last night just how far we can go with out and needle bearings, I drove 159 miles last night round trip to jimmy cone for a get together. My friend Agnem was under the truck said " Are you crazy driving this!" 45 degrees of play, no caps or NB. so... i have driven quite a few miles with it luckily just holding up. I have 290K on the truck and they are getting replace today!! and go ahead and do the carrier bearing while your under there.

treefidy

Reaction score
thanks guys, i think ill make an appointment to get them replaced, anything else i should have them look at?