Typical Injector Pressures

dadof2cjc

Reaction score
Connected a scan tool to my 96 PSD today. Had injector pressure ranges from 580 psi (ish) at idle to 1800 psi (ish). Is that a normal range ?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you scanning it because you have a problem? 580 at idle and 1800 with some pedal is normal. When driving does it have good power? Ipr percentage would give more indication of performance. Should have at least 2000 lbs icp at less than 50% ipr.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connected a scan tool to my 96 PSD today. Had injector pressure ranges from 580 psi (ish) at idle to 1800 psi (ish). Is that a normal range ?

stock @ idle can be as low as 500ish

stock @ full throttle should be around 2800ish

as stated IPR duty cycle would indicate how hard the hpop is working to make that pressure (or lack of)

dadof2cjc

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I scanned the ipr just to rule out a few possibilities. Truck was running fine, then it started to have a slight stumble and rough idle. I'll start looking at voltages next.

Thanks for the feed back !

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I scanned the ipr just to rule out a few possibilities. Truck was running fine, then it started to have a slight stumble and rough idle. I'll start looking at voltages next.

Thanks for the feed back !

What year truck?

fuel regulator ever been rebuilt?

screen cleaned at fuel bowl (OBS) or in tank screens (SD) ?

oil contaminated ICP sensor ?

IPR nut tight against solenoid?

transmission range sensor (OBS) ?

dadof2cjc

Reaction score
What year truck? - 96

fuel regulator ever been rebuilt? - I'm second owner; not that I know of

screen cleaned at fuel bowl (OBS) or in tank screens (SD) ? - Screen at fuel bowl was cleaned. Pick-ups were cleaned when both tanks were replaced

oil contaminated ICP sensor ? -will check

IPR nut tight against solenoid? - will check

transmission range sensor (OBS) ? - I've replaced this once; the harness clip broke and the connection is ok. I had to 'design' a method to insure the connection stays tight and dry.

Thanks for the places to look - will do this weekend.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck? - 96

fuel regulator ever been rebuilt? - I'm second owner; not that I know of

screen cleaned at fuel bowl (OBS) or in tank screens (SD) ? - Screen at fuel bowl was cleaned. Pick-ups were cleaned when both tanks were replaced

oil contaminated ICP sensor ? -will check

IPR nut tight against solenoid? - will check

transmission range sensor (OBS) ? - I've replaced this once; the harness clip broke and the connection is ok. I had to 'design' a method to insure the connection stays tight and dry.

Thanks for the places to look - will do this weekend.

I would order a fuel pressure regulator rebuild kit

https://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1...arts/6-038-fuel-regulator-seat-1996-1997.html

some shim the regulator spring to increase pressure to 70psi or so

on the OBS you can check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve at idle with any old tire pressure gauge. takes a little rigging to get a fuel reading while driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.