Type of Pressure plate?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at it over again, reading the link jasper posted and some literature on it in the ford service manuals it looks like the clutch y’all are talking about is just a friction plate that keeps some resistance for the outer plate as is slides back and forth between the springs, it’s still limited by the ears on the inner piece, and is dampened by the springs. It would need to break the ears off or break all the springs out from what I see here. When the friction disc is worn out it can be rotated by hand the 8-11* like said in the link not free spinning 360* even with it in the vice, covered in lube with a pry bar on it, still limited movement.

*just a note, please don’t take this the wrong way. There’s no malevolence in my posts, i may be right or wrong. Just trying to work out what’s going on with what I have in front of me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Looking at it over again, reading the link jasper posted and some literature on it in the ford service manuals it looks like the clutch y’all are talking about is just a friction plate that keeps some resistance for the outer plate as is slides back and forth between the springs, it’s still limited by the ears on the inner piece, and is dampened by the springs. It would need to break the ears off or break all the springs out from what I see here. When the friction disc is worn out it can be rotated by hand the 8-11* like said in the link not free spinning 360* even with it in the vice, covered in lube with a pry bar on it, still limited movement.

*just a note, please don’t take this the wrong way. There’s no malevolence in my posts, i may be right or wrong. Just trying to work out what’s going on with what I have in front of me.
Personally, although I find this interesting, I really don't care either way. I feel that this should not be a wear item and I'm all for throwing them all away and converting to SMF. I feel that this was a poor idea in the first place.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, although I find this interesting, I really don't care either way. I feel that this should not be a wear item and I'm all for throwing them all away and converting to SMF. I feel that this was a poor idea in the first place.

Ford would have never sold any of these trucks with them making the SMF noise. Ford has a complete separate division of staff and engineers just for NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness).

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

More evidence in this link? http://www.standardtransmission.com/dmf.html

They call it the "friction ring"

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More evidence in this link? http://www.standardtransmission.com/dmf.html

They call it the "friction ring"
Hmm interesting, guess it does serve that purpose although I can’t really see how it’s supposed to do that with what I’m looking at here. I imagine it would be blatantly obvious if this thing had been run on an engine recently rather than sitting in the scrap pile

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that link down in the testing, you can see where they tell you to "bar" it around to see if it is bad, how they warn you it will turn at first (the first section with the stops on it) and to keep trying to bar it after it stops and see if it still moves.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ford would have never sold any of these trucks with them making the SMF noise. Ford has a complete separate division of staff and engineers just for NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness).
I'm sure that you're right. It's still my opinion though. I'm also the one who thinks that standard transmissions should still be standard in new vehicles too.