Type f or Mecon atf for powersteering?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of replacing my steering box and powersteering pump on my 85 F-250. My questions is my 86 calls for type F atf in the powersteering, but my brothers 97 F-250 calls for Mercon atf. I'm just wondering if one is better than the other or if it even matters since everything is going to be drained down and flushed.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use Type F.

That being said... it's a hydraulic pump, designed for ATF. In theory, most anything would do.
The problem is that "power steering" fluid is lower viscosity, and tends to make the pump whine louder.

Type F is slightly thicker than other ATF-type fluids.

While I'm not sure I'd /recommend/ this, I have, on occasion, done 'workarounds' like adding just a little Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the (too thin) oil already in it, if it's noisy.
It'll increase the viscosity in proportion to how much you add.
(remember, they sell a "power steering stop leak" product which is, as far as I can tell, just the same thing in a different bottle for twice the price).

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using TDH Tractor hydraulic fluid and its great.

I have hydroboost and run full size filter and remote cooler w no appreciable issues what so ever

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Type F was used in the older Auto trans, it has a sticky in it for the clutches, something similar to the additive for rear end clutches.

Mercon don't have it, no need for it, Auto's have higher clutch pressures now to sticky them.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always used power steering fluid. You could put any type of oil based fluid in there and it would probably work.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using TDH Tractor hydraulic fluid and its great.

I have hydroboost and run full size filter and remote cooler w no appreciable issues what so ever

The seals are shot on my pump right now. I haven't had time to replace them.

That being said I have been filling mine with universal tractor hydraulic fluid as well and as long as the pump is full the steering works just fine and my pump doesn't whine at all.

I get the feeling ATF being spec'd was more for convince than being the "right" fluid. ATF is a hydraulic fluid that just plain works and everyone has it on the shelf. If it wasn't, why change the spec from type F to Mercon when the pumps are exactly the same?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always used power steering fluid. You could put any type of oil based fluid in there and it would probably work.

Honestly I've used motor oil in a pinch. I wouldn't ever recommend it, but it'll get you out of a bind.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used what red head recommends. my pump has no whine.
What does redhead recommend? I couldn't find anything in the papers that came with mine. Then again I've had my redhead waiting to be installed for a while.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My power steering pump started to wine a few months ago. Level was correct but wine it did. So I used a shop rag ro suck out some fluid. Then poured in half bottle of Lucius power steering seal conditioner. No leaks and no more wine. I realize I'm on borrowed time but I can fix this later.r

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford stopped using Type F atound 1978. They must have had barrels of it left over so they used it up in ps systems for many years

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does redhead recommend? I couldn't find anything in the papers that came with mine. Then again I've had my redhead waiting to be installed for a while.

I'll check tomorrow. I think it was the synthetic GM trans fluid. Dextron maby?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7