Two Stroke Detroits

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
ok bro, well we're going offshore for 4-5 days and probably wont be in cell range.
I'll mail you a handful of pages on the governors, but it'll be big.... I've got the 71, 92, and 149 series detroit shop manuals on cd here on my boat if you ever need any pages/info.

Drew
Thanks for the help. I have always had a soft spot for these engines, just never tore one apart to see how they worked. Seeing people tractor pull and drag race with them shows me there's plenty of power in them. The injectors can be interchanged in all the engines, right?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
sure, pm me your email addresses.
I been busy, **** breaking, and everyone seems to be quitting but me, so I'm technically working 24 hour days until further notice.....

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
I could image shifting a DD with only 4 spds. Getting it to wind back down from 2600 rpm to nil to get it to shift. Ya, kinda like a Mack 5spd. That would kill me too! I'm used to bang'n as quick as I can.

15mpg is quite respectable outta a bus. Must have decent gearing and lumber along at highway speed. Got to have lotsa poop to pull a decent hill and not have to downshift. With only 4 gears, you'd have to really slow down to shift it down. That is why most of them run 75+ mph!! Keeps the momentum up.

Very cool bus! Love to have one too.