Votes: 7 30.4%
  • DUDE TURN IT UP ALL THE WAY

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Neither will effect longevity

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last night me and my friends decided to turn up the injection pump on my truck. i did all the dissasembly and he is the one that turned it up.

The truck sounds great and has more power.

this thing belches black smoke under load conditions and looks really cool but i dont think it is very good for the motor.

will this damage my motor? if so how? the ip has 10,000 miles on it fyi, ive gotten mixed opinions on this, one person said they turned theres up all the way and have been driving like this for a while, one person said that doing this will cause the motor to "run away" (redline until it blows)

what is your opinion

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing that will kill it is egt's. if you don't have a pyrometer in there you risk seriously damaging your engine. but this is true even with a stock setting, it just makes it easier with a higher engine setting.

also if you haven't gotten rid of your muffler yet, do so now. that will help with EGT's

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I second the EGT. you must monitor closely. thats the only thing that will keep you from making an aluminum paper weight

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The proper setting will get you light black smoke at full throttle. Although I wish someone would tell my wrecker that. It smokes black almost all the time, I think the injectors are shot.

The problem with overfueling (black smoke) is that EGT's can get too high which will melt the pistons.

Personally the only time I'd ever recommend "turning up the pump" is when there is absolutely no black smoke at full throttle. After adding a turbo you can often "turn up the pump" to add fuel to the increased air supply. LOL, there's your excuse to get a turbo!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you posted this. Don't you know that the correct order of doing things is to ask first, then do? Not do first, then ask. cookoo

Sorry, but it's better than getting swonked. LOL

My old boss used to say it was easier to ask forgiveness then permission. True. But around here it is also more expensive. Get a pyro pronto bucko!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,since Mel brought it up......SWONK.....Don't do that again!Getcha Pyrometer ASAP and install it as close to the Cylinder Head as possible(Don't mount it post turbo!).

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa that's what I get for assuming!! I voted before reading the posts and voted assuming a pyro was in place! Yah what they said...drive that thing like you got an egg under the go pedal until you get a pyro!! ;Sweet

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
This is kind of off topic but I have my pump turned up 1 or 2 flats and it smokes a fair amount on exceleration but if i let it govern out in 2nd gear it smokes like a burning tire is that normal it's got ats none waste turbo and engine has fresh rebuild.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hugeredford, the 1984 F250 that I had was equiped with a non wastegated turbo. That baby smoked any time I accelerated until the boost came up to the amount of air it needed for the fuel it had. The truck had a rebuilt injection pump, and new injectors so I don't think those were the problem.

That smoke tends to keep people from riding your tailgait, so it is not all bad.

akoldnav

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
Pyrometer ASAP and install it as close to the Cylinder Head as possible(Don't mount it post turbo!).

Gee do you think so If you would read a little closer the truck is N/A which means no turbo.

I don't think you are going to have much of a problem melting pistons. Are the pistons cast iron? if so the you will have more problems than melted pistons. The biggest thing I can see happening is what they call cly. washing. Which occurs when an excessive amount of fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've heard aluminum begins to melt at 1470.
That's why it's ok to run 1250-1300
And you,,,, get a pyro,,,, tomorrow.
If you blow it up,,,, some will say "told you so".

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also heard but don't hold me to it...that those with non-turbos build up heat faster than those with turbos. Or at least as quick which is contrary to what you may think......soooo like everyone keeps saying - get that pyro!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
I've also heard but don't hold me to it...that those with non-turbos build up heat faster than those with turbos. Or at least as quick which is contrary to what you may think......soooo like everyone keeps saying - get that pyro!
you are right about that. N/A motors can get seriously overfeuled fast. As a result, thermonuclear meltdown occurs much sooner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin