turning radius.

wmoguy

Reaction score
You get used to it.. Tight parking lots don't bother me anymore. Just back into a stall vs pulling in. Backing up these things are plenty nimble.

I do avoid u turns for sure. In my area u turns aren't generally legal so it's not a biggee

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree on the turning radius. I have not driven a 4x4 pre-99 but I have driven E-2, a 2wd CC Dually and to me it seemed like it had the turning radius of a super tanker. My 4x4 Excursion has a much shorter turning radius...... I know my truck is a bit shorter, but not enough to make the difference that I have seen.....

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I have to agree on the turning radius. I have not driven a 4x4 pre-99 but I have driven E-2, a 2wd CC Dually and to me it seemed like it had the turning radius of a super tanker. My 4x4 Excursion has a much shorter turning radius...... I know my truck is a bit shorter, but not enough to make the difference that I have seen.....

There is a spot at a local store that the delivery trucks use to turn around to unload or when leaving. I have turned around in this spot and then later watched a tractor trailer turn around there using less room than my truck! cookoo
That was with the trailer behind him. :rolleyes:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
mine turns fine. ive drove alot of vehicles that turned sharper but they were mostly newer, shorter and had true ifs. it doesnt bother me. i just take up two parking spots if i have to LOL

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine turns fine. ive drove alot of vehicles that turned sharper but they were mostly newer, shorter and had true ifs. it doesnt bother me. i just take up two parking spots if i have to LOL

thats what i always do with this truck. park at the back of parking lot and take up 2 spots.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and it is the steering box thats maxing out. i adjusted the stops for the steering and did SFA. you can hear the steering box topping out when you reach the end and i noticed no difference. i still cant make the culdesac :(

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having driven '88-'97 F450s for years, you guys have nothing to scream about. really. ford marketing even made the sucky turning radius of the older truck a major sell point for the '99 and up trucks.cookoo
anyways my point is, if you own anything larger than a reg cab truck, plan on driving and parking the truck like how a big rig driver does. instead of a U-turn....go around a block or turn around in a large parking lot. parking in a cul-de-sac...forget it. find a spot out on the main road and hike in. once you accept the fact there will be extra driving and hiking involved, life will be better;Sweet:D

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my 94 turns GREAT. have got compliments on it and how tight it turns for a bigger truck. that is an ext cab long bed dually.

but my pops 08 4x4 crewcab dually F450 can turn circles around mine.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now, the steering boxes for 2wd and 4wd are the same, so why is there that much of a problem? does the 4wd have a wider track which in turn makes the steering box not push out any further for a good turning radius?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
now, the steering boxes for 2wd and 4wd are the same, so why is there that much of a problem? does the 4wd have a wider track which in turn makes the steering box not push out any further for a good turning radius?

not sure, but i know on the white 2x4 ext cab dually it would turn around on a dime compared to my 4x4 reg cab.

Black dawg

Reaction score
and it is the steering box thats maxing out. i adjusted the stops for the steering and did SFA. you can hear the steering box topping out when you reach the end and i noticed no difference. i still cant make the culdesac :(

same both ways?

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having driven '88-'97 F450s for years, you guys have nothing to scream about. really. ford marketing even made the sucky turning radius of the older truck a major sell point for the '99 and up trucks.cookoo
anyways my point is, if you own anything larger than a reg cab truck, plan on driving and parking the truck like how a big rig driver does. instead of a U-turn....go around a block or turn around in a large parking lot. parking in a cul-de-sac...forget it. find a spot out on the main road and hike in. once you accept the fact there will be extra driving and hiking involved, life will be better;Sweet:D

x2

These trucks make oceanic super tankers look nimble.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing I ever did for the turning radius of my truck was to swap the dana 60 axle in. Night and day difference between how the 50 would turn compared to the 60. With the 50 I couldnt turn the ******* around in a 40 acre corn field if I wanted to. Now that it has a freshly rebuilt 60 it turns on a dime and is MUCH MUCH MUCH more drivable in the city..........

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
If I have to make a sharp turn, I downshift rather hard, dump the clutch and floor it all at the same time. I now need two new tires :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance