turn the key and the solinoid on the starter goes click

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck does what the title says. i got new batteries yesterday and i assumed that the battery clamps were not the cleanest so i used sand paper to clean the inside of the clamp hole and i cleaned the battery posts and i tapped the clamps on with a rubber mallet and i even tried hitting the starter with a hammer.

the batteries are brand new and the starter is a Napa starter that is a little over a month old

the only change that has happened is the battery connections, truck was cranking slow sometimes because the 1 battery was low on cranking amps so i got new ones.

i am really stumped on this right now, should i try "crossing" the terminals on the starting solinoid on the passenger side fender tomorrow to try and narrow this down?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn the key to run, and then jumper the solenoid located on the passenger wheel well.

If it starts, replace that solenoid.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will not be upset if it needs to be replaced lol, it was the old solenoid from my old GPC and when that quit the solenoid was still good so i kept it and i used it to replace a different starting solenoid, no idea how old it is but i have got my moneys worth from it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If the solenoid on the starter clicks, then the solenoid on the fender is letting current go through it and is good. If the solenoid on the starter clicks, but the starter itself does nothing, then the issue is in the starter or the connection on the positive cable at the starter is bad or loose.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The starter on my f250 mysteriously broke on the external connector, ruining it. I drove it to lowes one day and it wouldn't start when I went to leave lowes. I didn't remember hitting anything that could have damaged it. Had to be replaced.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried jumping the little terminal at the starter? If it just clicks there starter is bad. Month old or not. Also bench testing a diesel starter proves nothing. Had mine go out once took it off had it bench tested , said it was fine. I said give me a new one anyhow truck started right up .

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the only thing that was bad was the starter. i got a warrenty replacement from napa and put that in today and cleaned all the conections and it fired right up
:Thumbs Up:Thumbs Up:Thumbs Up