Turn signals canceling too soon....am I nuts or what?

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
I've been living with this "problem" for five years now and it still makes me crazy! cookoo The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the directionals on my 2000 F-350 PSD. But I think they suck the way they cancel so soon. When I turn on my turn signal all I have to do is move the steering wheel slightly, making a correction as I approach the intersection and the turn signals go off. Then I have to put it back on sometimes several times before I make the turn. If the wheel is not absolutely straight the turn signal will not stay on. I have to hold it on until I turn the wheel slightly and hear the turn signal switch click and then it will stay on. But if I over steer by the slightest margin and have to make a tiny correction the directional will go off. It takes two hands to make a turn, one hand on the wheel and the other on the turn signal lever!

I'm a firm believer in using my turn signals but all I have to do is wiggle the steering wheel and the directional goes off. Then I click it on, then it goes off, then click it on, then it goes off. Well, you get the picture. People are shaking their fist at me for not using my turn signal when actually I am but just can't keep it on. I'm lucky I haven't gotten a ticket.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix to this problem? Has anyone heard of a recall perhaps about this problem? I complained to the dealer when the truck was under warranty and they said there was "no problem". I'll bet they could fix it now that it's on my dime! Is there a replacement switch I could install myself that would work better then this one? This is a real PITA.

Y2KPSD

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what your talking about, but I only occasionally run into the problem. Its usually when I Just barely have the wheel turned. So, I either keep it straight until Im ready to turn, or I turn a little further to catch the "click"

Im not sure there is anything "broken" either. Its just one of those "little things".

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i don't think there is a fix for that problem unless you want to ****** with the column interals

i just don't use blinkers, some folk in these parts think a blinker is just a signal for them to speed up so you cant merge

Last edited:

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
You're not alone with the early cancelling, I usually just hold it down until I don't want it on. Always thought it was just my truck too! 2000 F350 here too.

DBogo

Reaction score
another thing is right when i got in my truck i went to hit the high beams and i pulled back like every other vehicle i have ever driven and the went on but wouldnt stay on i thought there was somethign wrong so i clicked them forward what is the deal with that why does ford have to be different then every other brand

DrSpeed

Unregistered User
Reaction score
i hear ya...it's especially worse on big trucks that require more steering input. i hit my turn signals...and right after i change lanes to get into the turn lane, they've already cancelled. ********.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
DrSpeed said:
i hear ya...it's especially worse on big trucks that require more steering input. i hit my turn signals...and right after i change lanes to get into the turn lane, they've already cancelled. ********.

I hate to beat a dead horse but after hearing everyone with the same problem I think this is a real safety issue. Like I said in my original post, I sometimes have to click my turn signals on two or three times just to make one turn. I'm wondering if Ford ever had a recall for this problem. I know in my town the cops get after you for not using turn signals and this problem makes it a real effort to do so! We shouldn't have to hold the lever until we "catch the click" as Ford_Forgotton put it.

Problem is the stealership will charge me just to check them and then tell me the same thing they did before, "nothin wrong". cookoo

Y2KPSD

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Hmmmm, ya'll must be crazy. All of our fords I think have 4 or five of the little stops around the wheel that catch and cancel the signal. Seems like enough "spaces" for the signal to run for me. Maybe you just always seem to have the wheel at one spot where one of the catches are???

I love on the 92, 97, and 02 have the pull the stalk towards you to "flash to pass" and push away to keep the high beams on. Seems like a good system to me. Then I get into either the 88, 84, or 66, and it has that stupid switch on the floor. How did you old guys get along?

Adrianspeeder

mrplowjr

Reaction score
Yeah!, how do the old guys get along????

I'm sure Y2KPSD could wire somthing up to make it work, I hear he is quite the electrician..

ok all in good humor..

I experiance this too, it does get annoying, but I just live with it.. atleast until there is a fix.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
Hmmmm, ya'll must be crazy. All of our fords I think have 4 or five of the little stops around the wheel that catch and cancel the signal. Seems like enough "spaces" for the signal to run for me. Maybe you just always seem to have the wheel at one spot where one of the catches are??? How did you old guys get along?

Adrianspeeder

Oh boy, another expert and barley 21 years old. Does make me wonder how did us "old" guys ever get along! By the way kid, that stupid switch hasn't been on the floor since before you were born. I just gotta ask, how many of those "Fords" do you personally own?

Y2KPSD

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Whoa easy man :)

I was born in 84, and I beleve ford used the floor switches up to 91, but I could be wrong. My 88 has the floor switch.

1. 92 Bronco that I bought off dad. (he was origional owner)
2. 02 Diesel that ya'll would shoot me for if I said what I paid for it.
3. 84 Bronco bought last thanksgiving.
4. 88 bronco bought as the college cruzer

Nothing was ever handed to me and I consider myself a workaholic. Never bought much of anything my whole life and always worked as much as possible. When kids my age were buying videogames and trading cards, I would by used tools and learned as much as I could from my grandfather. Worked very hard to get a AirROTC scholarship, as it was the only way for me to go to Widener. All in all I think I did alright.

Also, I would like it if you wouldn't remove things when posting my quotes.

Adrianspeeder

trx300exnj

Reaction score
easy guys the high beam thing is fine with me the blickers get annoying and one day i held the blinker and turned it until it clicked about 15 times back and forth hoping to break whatever is there to cancel the blinker because it bothered me so much... i live with it and got used to it quick stupid little imperfection

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
My 2001 has the exact same problem. I was cussing it just today.

You can call me old if you want (38 last Thurs). But I really liked the high beam switch on the floor (on an auto). If I am driving hard into corners I like both my hands firmly on the steering wheel. Not stretching a couple fingers out trying to dim the high beams.

IMHO,

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.