Turboing a 6.9L

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal...if the rebuild was done right and it hasn't been too abused since then you are probably good to go for a good while. What I'd like to know about is how long ago it was rebuilt and how many miles. If it was within the last 10 years or so...maybe much longer ago than that, it should have had the updated head gaskets and you shouldn't have to worry about them for awhile as long as you don't go crazy with the boost. If you want to go Banks or Hypermax, you should go through Anton Huffington, who goes by "Huff" a real nice guy known personally to some in the IDI community. (559) 583-8833 He'll take time to answer your questions and such. His phone system is a bit difficult so be patient. Good luck,
J.D.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Wastegate turbo's are adjustable too, got to remember that. Maybe you don't want to run 20lbs today, but will in the future. Wastegate turbo will do that(appropriately sized).

Do the updated blocks have issues with running the block heater? Mine is an 84. Mine is b6.9lf127726 Is mine the updated?

Should I not run the block heater? I am new to these diesels.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the comment about pulse turbos making unlimited boost makes sense.

I do want to point out one more thing about the wastegate/non discussion.

Boost is a factor of expanding gasses from burned fuel, passing through the turbo at high velocity, and driving the wheel which compresses incoming air. There is no boost at idle because there is next to no fuel being delivered.(Remember, our engines are nothing more than big air compressors, air in the front, air out the back) At full throttle, the MAX boost is determined by the amount of fuel being delivered by the injection pump.

In a non-wastegated turbo, you can limit boost by having the injection pump turned down to only deliver a certain amount of fuel at full throttle.

The wastegate is there to route excess boost away yes. The high boost off the line is achieved by sizing the compressor wheel smaller, so it spins faster/sooner as driven by the exhaust gasses, but therefore can also produce more than the desired max boost, especially with high throttle low rpms situations, thus the wastegate. And although the boost is being wasted down the pipe, the exhaust gasses are still hot, so you can still have way high egt's especially at lower rpm's.

I haven't done it yet(although I'm currently getting the parts together to get it running) with my ATS wastegated turbo, but I'm assuming that the boost on a wastegated turbo can also be limited in a similar fashion by turning down the fuel, so that the wastegate essentially never opens(I've heard of guys that have disconnected them, so they can't open), and egt's will remain within reason, and you'll get the benefit of the turbo and boost, but lacking the inefficiency at higher rpm's.

I also assume that the higher backpressures associated with a wastegated turbo would only be when the boost is so high that the gate is open, and exhaust (efficiency) is being "wasted".

Zigg :)

fireman438

Reaction score
The thought occured to me tonight at work (I work swing) that my engine seems to make a bit of excess clattering when it's cold (as in, the engine is cold),though it seems to quiet down a bit when the engine is warm. It's kind of hard to tell because my exhaust is shot, so i think i may be hearing that as well when the engine is warm. I say all this because on of the weld inspectors has an '84 that nearly sounds like a gasser because it's so quiet, and he said his exhaust is shot, too. What gives? Could my timing be off a bit (no, i haven't had a chance to check it since getting the truck), is it possibly injector noise? Thanks

Rich

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
6.9's are not supposed to be quiet. THey are quiter than 7.3's, and both are allot quiter than powerstrokes.
I'd say your welders truck is a bit retarded in timing.

fireman438

Reaction score
Interesting comment about the inspector's truck. The only reason I question the comment about the timing is because he has ALL his work, even down to oil changes, done by a very reputable diesel and performance shop here in town. On top of that, he had his injection system replaced (pump and injectors) by them, which would lead me to believe that they did the timing as well.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Rich

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
yea, its seriously not supposed to run quiet like a gas burner.
We had one of our trucks here doing that and it was way off on the retarded side of the timing.

fireman438

Reaction score
Back when I talked to the IH dealership guy, I asked him if a turbo from a 7.3 powerstroke would work on my 6.9. He insisted that it was designed specifically for an electronically controlled engine. As I am not familiar with the powerstrokes, I'm not certain that the turbo is not also electronically controlled, but the ones I have seen don't seem to be. If that were the case, the turbo would simply be a mechanical piece and only the volume of air/ amount of boost would be a consideration, which could be varied by adjusting the wastegate. Am I off my rocker, or will one of those turbos not work on my engine like the IH guy said?

Thanks,
Rich

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen several examples now of PSD turbo's being used on our trucks. Barney (Flatlander) also added one in series with his run of the mill IDI turbo. They can be made to work, but the effort and time required is what keeps us coming back to pre-made kits. After all, we just want boost in the right amount, and at a price we can afford. Sometimes that price is time, sometimes money or maybe both. Which way you go depends on how you view value.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on a different board someone suggest the use of a turbo from a DT466 for a 6.9/7.3L application. Any thoughts on this?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Displacement being slightly larger, I would guess that it may not be small enough. :dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read on a different board someone suggest the use of a turbo from a DT466 for a 6.9/7.3L application. Any thoughts on this?
belieeve it or not, the compressor side of a DT466 turbo is a joke. it's about half the size of a ATS. Besides, imho there's nothing to write home about when it comes to the power output of a DT466 in a stocker rig. I drop at least three to four gears climbing a steep hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online