Turboing a 6.9L

fireman438

Reaction score
When the engine was rebuilt, I don't know. And actually, the mileage was only a guesstamate because the speedo quit working not too long after the rebuild.

Also, from what I am gathering, the block heater is cast into the block? Is that cAnd as for the date, I have no idea and I'orrect?

fireman438

Reaction score
That's what I am sure hoping for!! And as a 2nd thought, would putting an inline coolant heater be detrimental? I wouldn't think so, since it would be similar to an engine warming up on it's own.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block heater is not cast into the block, but it replaces a soft plug. usual spot for it is in the hole right above the starter. you should see a three pin connector if you have one there still. Post your findings on what you have found for an inline coolant heater. I've found a few, but none at prices I was willing to pay.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly you can get a magnetic universal block warmer at most auto parts stores. I don't know if they might cause similar problems or no. My guess would be no...as long as you don't put them in the same area the stock heater is. I hear they go for around $30-40. Better than risking the cracked block...but you really don't need a heater at all unless you live someplace where it gets really cold as long as the motor's healthy and all the glow plugs work right, no return leaks etc. They are nice to have though. I use mine here in N. Florida if the temp gets below around 35 degrees at night...it just seems easier on it.

fireman438

Reaction score
I do happen to live in the cold North (Spokane,WA), so I think i'll try for some sort of heater.

Anyway, now that I've decided to turbo the old girl, I'm now researching the differences between and positives/negatives of each the pulse turbo (Hypermax, one of my choices) and the wastegate turbo (Banks would be my other choice here). Although i have a good idea as to the different ideas and functions of each, is one type better than the other, or do each have their own application, depending on what you want to accomplish with said turbocharger.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a Hypermax Pulse turbo on Lady Moose, and I'll tell you this.... I started out with a used kit, that was not complete. It was also the old style turbo (pre-pulse, or what they call the conventional turbo - which they still sell for vans, because of the piping). Well, I didn't realize there was a difference in kits between automatic or manual trans. When I got the parts I needed, they didn't match up to what other stuff I had. Turns out, I had an automatic kit, and got parts for a manual (because that's what I had). To make a long story short, Hypermax was great to work with, and resolved all my issues quickly, and took no offense to supporting a used turbo, instead of trying to sell me a new one. In the course of all this, I got the right stuff, got the turbo upgraded to a pulse turbo more or less for free, and NEVER had problems getting a hold of my tech there. In fact, he called me like 5 times with different questions because they were trying so hard to make sure I got the right stuff. So, technology differences aside, I'd rate Hypermax tech support supreme. ;Sweet One other minor point for me, is that they are in Illinois, which by UPS standards is 3 days closer to me then California. :hail

fireman438

Reaction score
sounds like you had a very positive experience with Hypermax. I haven't calle them yet, but I have called Banks, whom so far, have been friendly and helpful, at least as far as getting literature. And, of course, even though no other brand names were mentioned by the tech, he touted Banks as being the Platinum Standard (my words, not his). So, at least he believes in the company he works for, or so it seems.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
my 87 has hypermax turbo motor and turbo are wore out milage??? 2,3,00000
your guess is as good as mine this ol truck has been beat to death has a doug nash od in it still does 70 everyday and get 14 with my foot in the turbo alot (I can only get 8 psi boost ) normally 3-5 I have a pyro also and now a straight pipe old truck keeps on running.. (ps you may need to turn the ip pump after instal)

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
oops got carried away with the zeros my truck could have 1 hundred thousand miles 2 hundred thousands or 3 I just dont know it's had a hard life started out a rodeo rig is what I heard...

fireman438

Reaction score
so, do either types of turbos, wastegate or pulse type, have an advantage over the other?? I see a lot of wastegate types, carried by various companies (Banks, Gerrett, ATS, Aurora, etc.), but it seems only Hypermax does the pulse turbo. Any ideas? I can't find anything on the web comparing the two types.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, do either types of turbos, wastegate or pulse type, have an advantage over the other?? I see a lot of wastegate types, carried by various companies (Banks, Gerrett, ATS, Aurora, etc.), but it seems only Hypermax does the pulse turbo. Any ideas? I can't find anything on the web comparing the two types.
It really depends on your purpose with your truck. WG turbos give a slightly better advantage from a standstill and non-WG is a little better when your rpm's are up. It boils down to which you are more comfortable with. I've installed both and driven both extensively and the similiarites are closer than what most think

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say buy what you like and you can afford...bottom line is they are all good if you have a healthy motor and watch the gauges.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked blow-by and it seems to me that there is very little. I took the cap off of the oil filler tube and put my hand over the hole to try and feel any back pressure because the engine fan kicked up too much wind to watch and too much engine noise (obviously!!) to hear. When I DC'd the shutoff solenoid, a small amount of oil vapor comes out, but disappears immediately on startup, almost as though there were a vacuum (not very likely, though).

Wel, actually there is a small amount of vacuum to the crank area, especially when you lift the rpm off idle.

Normally your blow-by is routed via the CDR valve up from the area of the lifters through the valley pan, and into the back of the intake manifold just below the aircleaner housing. So, if you just pull off the oil fill cap, all you are getting is the leftover blow-by that isn't being pulled up via the air cleaner. There isn't much vacuum in the intake, but if the aircleaner is a bit dirty, there can be a little, and inside the aircleaner filter, there is enough to pull in the blow-by from the crank area.

So, to get a true picture of the blow-by, you need to disconnect the CDR valve from the back of the intake and plug the hole in the valley pan with the oil fill off, then all the blow-by has no other place to go but out the fill hole. Then you'll get the true picture.

At idle, if it is just coming up/out like a teapot simmering, it is quite normal. If it is huge white clouds, or puffing up in tune to a cylinder, then it is excessive.

Our engines (and probably could be said) most deisels normally have quite a bit of blow-by compared to the typical gas v8 engine.

Zigg :)