Turbo woes

SKimballC

Reaction score
As some of you may recall I have been having problems with a used factory turbo I scored and put on my truck a while back. Here's that thread-
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16390&page=2&highlight=wastegate

Problems persist. My boost has been steadily getting harder to ring out. New fuel filter and air filter's clean. I did notice that there's STILL an exhaust leak at the ball -socket BS joint between the y-pipe and the up-pipe so I pulled it all off and swapped the y-pipe for another that is a VERY tight fit into the up-pipe, which is brand new. The fit is now so tight that I don't ever want to have to attempt to pull those 2 pipes apart. I took the exhaust housing off while the turbo was out and everything looks good and it spins freely. The wastegate is maxed out and the valve sits completely closed. I slowly put the whole system back on the truck ensuring that it all fits together right then fully tightened everything up. I even RTV'ed the intake hat at the intake manifold and the compressor housing. Took it for a spin- boost is even lower now. It is very difficult to hit 3 psi where it was easy to hit that before, when I was maxing out at 5. I see nothing awry, there no audible exhaust leaks and there's plenty of black smoke. The pyro is reading about the same as ever. I question my boost gauge but I also don't FEEL the boost so I doubt its wrong. I am at my wit's end with this damn turbo and getting sick of the truck as a result. :dunno
I am gonna walk away from it until late next week but I'd like to get some better results before I leave for Oregon in the damn thing in 3 weeks.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any play in the turbo fan? Is there any chance that it needs to be rebuilt? Are you sure the waste gate is working right, your waste gate could be opening too soon :dunno

SKimballC

Reaction score
BJ, I disabled the wastegate by pulling the hose from the compressor housing and plugging it, and no change. No play in the turbo at all and it burns no oil. No damage to the fins, though it is slightly harder to turn it from the exhaust side than the compressor side, but it still moves easily.
I am running out of ideas. I am tempted to find another boost gauge because something strange is going on. Too bad I gave away my spare Isspro. Yes, I said gave, and yes, I am a dummy.
I am going to check that y-pipe again, as I fear that it may not be straight on the passenger manifold since the up-pipe and y-pipe were so difficult to adjust after I got them together. Other than that though,:dunno somebody shoot me. This is the 6th time I have pulled this crap off the truck trying to find the problem. I loathe these ATS slip-fit joints with a fury. :puke: Its too bad that I have such resentment towards my truck right now, she's been good to me but this is what I get for swapping turbo's just because I can. But I NEED this straight before I throw 2700 straight miles at her. What's really too bad is that I bought this freakin' ATS junk. I already disliked their stuff.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Portland. Too many people but its fun. First time I went to Portland I ended up kissing the first girl I happened to meet.
Fordguy, I better see that truck of yours in the flesh out there. That's a nice rig you got. You near any rivers or mountains I will inevitably be frolicking in?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
SKimballC I live in the foothills of the cascades. I live about a mile from the biggest state park in Oregon (Silver Falls State Park, the park actually butts up to our property). Besides that I dont really live near anything exciting. Mount Hood isnt to far from Portland though, you'll have to check that out. Theres a bunch of nice lakes in and East of the Cascades as well. Portland is only an hour and 15 minutes away from me. We will have to get together some time to look at each others trucks ;Sweet .

PM me if you got any question bout locations and such in Oregon, I'll try to help you out.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I went out and hammered and readjusted the pipes and everything is tight and aligned, but the boost is still lousy. When I get to it late next week I might crank the fuel just for sh!#s and giggles to see what it does, but having the turbo rebuilt just isn't going to happen right now. No time or money for that.
Fordguy, I googled ya, I see where you are. I have been to Hood already but will definitely be going back. For sure, let's get together. With type4 and fiverpuller we almost have enough folks for a Portland area get-together.LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an exhaust restriction by chance?? If you get it working good enough to get out here I will help you sort it out.. I have an ats and love it, you gotta remember the only thing they make is the pipes and castings, the turbo is garrett , I have lots of parts to rebuild them.
See you when you get here.
Safe trip
russ

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you are still running the stock exhaust system maybe the muffler is plugging up. Most running a turbo don't run a muffler because the turbo chops up the noise signiture so well. Try renning it straight piped like others. What diameter is the exhaust?

SKimballC

Reaction score
I have the 3" ATS exhaust on the truck so I don't think that's the trouble. You can see straight through the muffler.
I have about decided to have the turbo rebuilt. If I don't get it done before I split, then typ4 I will certainly be picking your brain about it when I get there. Thanks for the offer. I know you said it in another recent post, but what type of turbo is it, a T04H or something? I had been told by someone else that its a T3, but I don't know.:dunno

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you got enought fuel, I put a new pump on a friends truck not long ago and got no more then 4 pounds of boost, turned the pump up a flat and got eight.

I use a 0-15 three inch air psi guage on my truck for a boost guage, any air psi guage will work.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I turned the fuel up a flat tonight and it certainly helped, and though I have plenty of room on the EGT's and obviously the boost, I can't handle any more smoke right now. Ok, maybe a little :dunno , but only AFTER I escape this stretch of suburban Tennessee.
So I ordered a rebuild kit from Ron's Turbo Service today and Ron told me some of the big things to make sure of when rebuilding it and said if I have any questions just to call him and he'll walk me through. Hell of a nice guy. And besides, since its perfectly driveable as is, if I don't have the time before I go I will deal with it in Oregon.

Last edited:

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine a year ago, let me see, oh yea, two brass bushings, two snap rings and a seal, nothin to it, getting it apart is the fun.

Make sure you have some soft metal like brass or aliminum bar stock to use as a driver to get it open, just keep tapping all around and take your time. mark how it came apart.

Remember more fuel=more heat=more boost. Too much heat and pistons melt.

I have my fuel too high but, I live and die by my pryo temps, while pulling my fiver is the only time I can get temps above 800, so while pulling I watch my pryo more than rpms.

Any you guys see this: while pulling I can over temp egt's in a heartbeat while above 2600 rpm, if below say 2500 rpm I can keep my foot on the floor and not get much over 1200 or less. @ 2900 rpm 8 psi boost egt's off the scale, @ 2500 rpm and 8 psi boost egt's behave :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online