turbo whistle and a little smoke vid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the whistle is from the exhaust side then part of the problem is the Banks setup has an aluminum shroud around the hotside and then insulation around that. The shroud has to stay, but the insulation doesn't!

Jeff

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
his is an aurora 2k, which if i'm not mistaken is a ball bearing turbo. all i know is you can turn it off and can still hear it spooling down a little after you get out of the truck. he does have stacks, but i dont think that'd affect the duration of the spool-down. when i get a bigger comp wheel on mine i'm gonna replace the sleeves and clean the turbine wheel. maybe that'll help.

and no, mine just has the factory exhaust housing/elbow and a 3" downpipe from banks

are the ats aurora 2k's direct replacements for our 093 turbo's?

in one of my diesel mags that i recently got i saw a guy that had a '94 IDI that had the ats 2k on it.:dunno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have a little more info as to where the whistle comes from. I broke a shaft on the turbo on a series 60 Detroit about a week ago. The compressor wheel was the only thing affected and there was no turbo whistle after that, no power either. There was a little whistle that came off the exhaust turbine, but nothing compared to when the compressor was working.

Jeff