turbo whistle and a little smoke vid

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love your guys whistle. Are they factory turbos or aftermarket? I have a first gen banks and you really have to listen for any whistle.

Jeff

I have the hypermax setup and at high idle it'll wistle. My truck whistles almost as loud as a 6.0l:D

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So...with it running that well, why would you want to open a can of worms and a headache by swapping out the engine?

SWS

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
because I want more power than my idi can offer. on stock tires I bet this thing would run great, but with 37s I can't accelerate up hills that I think I should be able to, and when I hook to a trailor I get a lot of smoke. That can be fixed easy enough, but I'd rather have a 12v and have more power. I'm 21, I want something big and fast that can pull whatever I put on it with ease, and would stand a chance when I go to sled pulls. Fast being relative, I know diesels aren't "fast" without a lot of money, but a 350-400hp 12v will wax a lot of other trucks and some cars.

Reaction score
Im 20 lookin for same thing, but my idi has tons of power, I accelerate up hill no problems, actually have to let off the throttle on down shifts up hills. even with 38/15.5 wide tires it gets up and moves. My buddy has a early 12 valve on 35s and at an intersection I have no problem beating him across. Anything after that tho he wins. His is alot faster (top speed) so I say keep the idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another question. Does the whistle come from the cold side or hot side. both sides of the Banks are pretty well insulated.

Jeff

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The whistle is a combination of both, If you put a more aggressive compressor wheel on it will boost more and whistle a little more. Th main whistle you hear is the Hot side though.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The whistle is a combination of both, If you put a more aggressive compressor wheel on it will boost more and whistle a little more. Th main whistle you hear is the Hot side though.

other than the restrictive exhaust system and down pipe, why cant you hear any whistle on the factory ATS 093 turbos? is it just the type of hot wheel they used on it?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To bad they dont make a VGT turbo for the IDI. Although the 6.0 was a messed up engine by the Ford engineers modifications it did have a cool turbo. Back in 2004 I was at the North East Ford diesel rally and their was one going through the parking lot with a flow through muffler. The up and down whine of the trubo sounded like a jet engine but not as loud.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
To bad they dont make a VGT turbo for the IDI. Although the 6.0 was a messed up engine by the Ford engineers modifications it did have a cool turbo. Back in 2004 I was at the North East Ford diesel rally and their was one going through the parking lot with a flow through muffler. The up and down whine of the trubo sounded like a jet engine but not as loud.

I have had that same thought. that would be so frickin' sweet.:angel:

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
other than the restrictive exhaust system and down pipe, why cant you hear any whistle on the factory ATS 093 turbos? is it just the type of hot wheel they used on it?

Are you running the stock intake setup? If you are, replace it with a Cold air intake and the whiste will get more noticable. Replace the stock DP with the PSD upgrade or get the aftermarket 3" DP, and run a 4" straight pipe (the shorter the pipe the louder the truck but the whistle stays about the same) The exhaust system is definately why you can barely hear it (it does it's job pretty well)

The OP is running a 093

wmoguy

Reaction score

Oh yea! 03 models were the loudest in the whistle department due to the # of fins on the wheel. There's one in my neighborhood, it'll bring yer "ahem" to attention when he drives off from the stop sign by my house.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online