turbo whistle and a little smoke vid

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree.... the 03 6.0 turbo whistles like you would not believe..... I have a complete stock system... intake to tail pipe, and the whistle from mine is louder that some with a straight exhaust......

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Are you running the stock intake setup? If you are, replace it with a Cold air intake and the whiste will get more noticable. Replace the stock DP with the PSD upgrade or get the aftermarket 3" DP, and run a 4" straight pipe (the shorter the pipe the louder the truck but the whistle stays about the same) The exhaust system is definately why you can barely hear it (it does it's job pretty well)

The OP is running a 093

Thanks for the info Midnight.

I have that awsome stock intake with the super awsome stock exhaust. Yes that includes the stock DP. I do want to do 4 inch straight piped exhaust and most likely do the PSD dp upgrade, unless i can find a dp back exhaust for a good price and then buy that over priced banks dp. I would just use the factory routing for the exhaust.

I have begun to think about how i could upgrade my intake as well. Not to sure how i want to go about that right now though. Any ideas would be great. Should probly start a new thread for that though.

My friends in high school would always raz me about the fact that i have a turbo on my truck and you can't hear it. i told them that the reason is the exhaust system.

This is the exhaust that i have been looking at.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320727393579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
It seems like a good price for SS turbo back. does not have the muffler though, which i would delete anyways.

wmoguy

Reaction score

I have that awsome stock intake with the super awsome stock exhaust. Yes that includes the stock DP. I do want to do 4 inch straight piped exhaust and most likely do the PSD dp upgrade, unless i can find a dp back exhaust for a good price and then buy that over priced banks dp. I would just use the factory routing for the exhaust.

I have begun to think about how i could upgrade my intake as well. Not to sure how i want to go about that right now though. Any ideas would be great. Should probly start a new thread for that though.

My friends in high school would always raz me about the fact that i have a turbo on my truck and you can't hear it. i told them that the reason is the exhaust system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320727393579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
It seems like a good price for SS turbo back. does not have the muffler though, which i would delete anyways.

You'll pay $355 for an exhaust w/ muffler and no downpipe but don't wanna buy a turnkey kit from Banks w/ downpipe for $430?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
You'll pay $355 for an exhaust w/ muffler and no downpipe but don't wanna buy a turnkey kit from Banks w/ downpipe for $430?

Are you refering to my link? that system has no muffler and does have a down pipe. the pick they use is for advertising purposes only. isn't the banks kit 3.5in? alluminzed? does 3.5 inch to 4 inch make much difference? i know anything will be better than stock, but......

I do like the fact that the banks kit is plug and play like you say. especially since i don't have welder.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Are you refering to my link? that system has no muffler and does have a down pipe. the pick they use is for advertising purposes only. isn't the banks kit 3.5in? alluminzed? does 3.5 inch to 4 inch make much difference? i know anything will be better than stock, but......

I do like the fact that the banks kit is plug and play like you say. especially since i don't have welder.

ah my bad, I just looked at the photo.

yea the Banks is 3.5". 4" would be nice and what I would've preferred. I highly doubt 4" on our lower powered trucks would make much difference in EGTs. powerwise it's not gonna matter either. These things just don't make much in the way of power, the banks downpipe or ATS upgraded downpipe w/ a 3.5" or 4" exhaust is gonna be more than you'll need IMO unless you know of a way to put down some power levels not yet seen in the 7.3 idi

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ah my bad, I just looked at the photo.

yea the Banks is 3.5". 4" would be nice and what I would've preferred. I highly doubt 4" on our lower powered trucks would make much difference in EGTs. powerwise it's not gonna matter either. These things just don't make much in the way of power, the banks downpipe or ATS upgraded downpipe w/ a 3.5" or 4" exhaust is gonna be more than you'll need IMO unless you know of a way to put down some power levels not yet seen in the 7.3 idi

Ya i reallize these IDI's are not power trucks and i am jsut fine with that. it is my first ever vehicle and first ever diesel so i am more than happy with the power. i know the banks would be easier than the PSD system but i like working on cars and such, especially when it comes to adding things that are going to be of benifit to the engine/vehicle. benefit to the amount of green stuff in your wallet never hurts eitherLOL. so i think i would enjoy fabing up the downpipes. i just hope i don't screw up my dp in the process, cuz that would put a fairly large damper on things. there is a junkyard that is about 10 miles from my house and they have a late 80's f250 with a 7.3L idi in it with the factory turbo put on it. my plan was to get the dp off of that so i could still drive my truck while working on the dp and if i screwed up it was not the end of the world but the guy did not want to sell the dp to me b/c he said the truck ran so he did not want to part it out. i hope he realized that i was looking for an exhaust pipe and not the turbo itself.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would check your local exhaust shop first. I got a 3" custom y pipe, 3" all the way back, with a magnaflow muffler for $395 installed...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric,

If I can swing the rally next year, I will have to take you for a ride...... it is a completely different animal than what you are used to.....