Turbo Sizing ?

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Ok i been reading,

I am looking at installng a turbo.. no big deal done one or two on forgeign cars. but not on a diesel.. so here is my question.

Does anyone know what size the turbo is? like TD04 or whatever?

Also are you all ruuning just wastegated or are you running it with blow off valves?

I assume that the biggest issue it the IP timing as there is no computer persay to manage these babys. so its got to be stand alone.

If you all are running wastegated are you using inside controls to boost turbo pressures via vacume acuated wastegates?

last but not least anyone got a few shots of the mount.. with just a single turbo you would have to collect the exhaust off either 1 side or build a crossover for the 2 sides to dump into. has anyone tried dual turbo setups? maybe a bit smaller turbo on each side?

Just a few questions as I can get a very very good deal on turbos and want to knwo what i need .. I have the piping the intercoolers and such avail at deep discount and can probably figure this baby out in a wekend.. and gain some power that I "THINK" I will want to pull this 6500LB Travel trailer...

Thanks
Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that the gen2 banks is a modified TE06H.
I don't remember as quickly what the ATS wategated model is. I will need to come up with that number a little later.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo setups for IDI's are pretty standard affairs, you can pick up a used setup on eBay for around a grand give or take. You'd probably spend more money "inventing" a system than its worth.

Gasser knowlege with turbos doesn't really translate to diesels. Since a diesel's ignition is caused by the injector firing, you don't have pre-ignition issues like a gasser.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Dave,

You will get differing opinions on the wastegate issue. I have a non-waste gate turbo kit on my motorhome that came from Hypermax. Pretty basic installation. The up pipes (2 1/4" I think) are simply teed together with a single pipe going to the inlet side of the hot section. The down pipe is 2 1/2".

Some disagree but I think the waste gate is not needed for just plain pulling. For quicker acceleration from a stop sign the waste gate system will be a little quicker. You will find the sizing of the turbo itself for a non-wastegate system is different than those with a wastegate.

I am extremely happy with my system. I get 12 lbs of boost and the EGT won't go over 1100 degrees. I have the Hypermax cool air hood mount air intake kit and I have dual 3" exhaust behind the downpipe.

Jim

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
I should be able to build one for less than a grand new only becuase I already have the wolesale contacts for all the equip and access to a nice madrel bending shop. :)

tubing and connector i have lots of from my import projects so shoudl work ok. I know a diesel is alot easir to work with

Black dawg

Reaction score
all the non gated versions ive been in contact with were to4b h-trim. I believe that the gated ats and ford factory turbo are t3/t4 hybrids h trim on the compressor side. there are much more models available now, just figure out the cfm you will need and how much boost you want and start looking at compressor maps. if you want to go twins just cut the cfm in half and look for a compressor for each half.