Turbo setup interchangability? 6.9 --> 7.3

MoonDog

Reaction score
Hi all, I spent some time searching but was not able to come up with what I really wanted to know...

I have a 7.3, and I've found a great deal on a complete ATS kit with gauges from a 6.9 truck. Just how similar are the two engines as far as the intake and exhaust go? I don't mind doing a little fabrication, but if all I can use from the kit is the turbocharger itself, then it's not such a great deal. So can anyone give me some advice on what might be required to make this setup work?

Tate

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it will work just fine. The intake side of it will be fine. The exhaust might have to be tweaked a little bit, but I'm not sure because I dont know if the exhausts are interchangable for different body styles. I'm pretty sure the exhuast will work good though.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hi all, I spent some time searching but was not able to come up with what I really wanted to know...

I have a 7.3, and I've found a great deal on a complete ATS kit with gauges from a 6.9 truck. Just how similar are the two engines as far as the intake and exhaust go? I don't mind doing a little fabrication, but if all I can use from the kit is the turbocharger itself, then it's not such a great deal. So can anyone give me some advice on what might be required to make this setup work?

Tate

Tate

What generation of ATS kit is it? Or just simplify, is it wastegated or non?

As far as interchangebility. Any turbo kit (ATS, Banks, or Hypermax) that will fit on a 6.9 will work on a 7.3. They are externally the same. The only thing that may differ between turbo kits is whether it is for an automatic or manual tranny. I'm not sure, but there may be some different hardware. Someone else will chime in to verify or deny that soon.

Tom

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The intake and exhaust manifolds are exactly the same from 6.9 to 7.3. It will bolt up.... Unless the motor comes out of a bur or business class truck tractor semi. You know the bigger trucks you see hauling a refer box or dump body. They have a differant exhaust manifold setup.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it it will work just fine. The transmissions will all be kind of hard to work with and each one requires slight modification, usually to the dipstick tube. There may be others you just have to do some digging. I just read you have a ZF5, it will definitely work with it, I can't remember what mods it requires, if any. Good luck,
J.D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online