turbo removal

deadeyeb

Reaction score
I'm doing a turbo removal on a 94 350 cc for an ATS upgrade kit and going to install an inter cooler. My question is do I have to remove the up pipe to remove the turbo. The bolts on the cross-over pipe and the pass. side exhaust are a little scary and if I don't have to break them I don't want to.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can remove it by removing the four bolts at the top of the up pipe and the clamp that holds trhe down pipe. remove the oil supply tube and the bolts that hold it to the intake. The four bolts at the base of the Turbo are a ***** to get to though

Just my two cents

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct that it is a ***** to get those 4 nuts off and an even bigger ***** to get them back on without loosing at least one. I have learned to take a small square of tissue paper and wedge the nut into the wrench or socket to keep it from falling out. That works pretty well and grinding some of your wrenches off to fit helps a little too. Still it is doable and I have had to do it several times.

Good luck

akoldnav

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC when i did mine the up pipe came out with my turbo.there is no clamp holding it onto the Y from the manifolds.i dont remember fighting with the 4 bolts on the flange till it was out and sitting on the bed.where are you located in MA?i may be near you and able to help if you need a hand.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
To hold nuts in a socket or box wrench I like to use hot melt glue. It holds the nut very well but breaks out of socket easily when you get it started/tightened. cookoo Okiegringo

deadeyeb

Reaction score
well I got the turbo out but the up pipe is stuck in the elbow. I tried to follow the ford manual and snaped the two bolts frow the elbow to the cross over pipe. letting it soak over night to see if I can break them apart tommorro. here are some pics.

Attachments

• PIC00011.JPG
    PIC00011.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 16
  • PIC00012.JPG
    PIC00012.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 16

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Weld a steel tang onto the up-pipe then heat the crap outta the female cast iron side and have welding gloves on and pull/hammer on the steel tang. Or get a aluminum covered windshield cover(inside) and crush up some dry-ice and wrap the down-pipe in the ice, or do both. Or stick the down-pipe in the snow bank overnight and heat the crap outta the cast side while the pipe is still in the snow. cookoo Okiegringo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert