turbo question

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I do believe there is one currently in operation on Barneys truck, aka flatlander.

tractorman86

Reaction score
no he is referring to a setup in which a small turbo feeds into a large turbo(or vice versa, i cant remember which way it is). the small turbo spools up fast for low end torgue and the big turbo takes care of the top end high boost #s

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup thats what it is. A small turbo spools up fast, which feeds its boost into a larger turbo to spool it up which creates more boost than the small turbo. As far as people doing it, I believe Barney (I believe thats his name, sorry, flatlander) is the only one running a seqential turbo setup.

FYI The seqential turbo setup on the 6.4 PSD is really only for emmisions reasons. Its so it has more boost down low so it emmits less emmisions stuff when taking off from a stop, ect...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yep, and powerwise, he seems to hold his own against Big Ed/w cummins. However, he's running custom slugs to put his compression at 19.5:1, since he doesn't run it in the winter much. If you're in an area where you see cold temps more often than not, this probably isn't a good idea. Also, it has hurt his mileage a bit too.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I can only see this making tuning near impossible w/o a lot of electronics... Why not go with a twin parallel setup?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I can only see this making tuning near impossible w/o a lot of electronics... Why not go with a twin parallel setup?

Not really. The way I would do it would be to take a small wastegated turbo, a little smaller than a ATS or Banks turbo, good for 6psi. This turbo will have the air filter. The boost from this turbo will go into the larger turbo, probably a OBS PSD turbo (non wastegated, good for 25psi+). So when you hit the skinny peddle, the small wastegated turbo will spool up to 6psi real quick, then the wastegate will kick in and it wont gain any more boost, and the exhaust will flow into the PSD turbo.

No real need for electronics, all you need is more fuel to spool both turbo's ;Sweet. Unlike a gasser you dont need to keep the air/fuel ratio in spec cause a diesel doesnt need to stay in that A/F specs. To much fuel and they smoke, to little fuel and they have less power.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We probably should nail down the terminology for the sake of future discussions. When I hear twins, I think two turbo's of the same size, working in parrallel. Dual turbo's on the other hand, sounds more like a staged design. What do you all think?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We probably should nail down the terminology for the sake of future discussions. When I hear twins, I think two turbo's of the same size, working in parrallel. Dual turbo's on the other hand, sounds more like a staged design. What do you all think?

Agreed ;Sweet. Twins are parrellel turbo's. Dual turbo's, staged turbo's, seqential turbo's, are all the same to me.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Not really. The way I would do it would be to take a small wastegated turbo, a little smaller than a ATS or Banks turbo, good for 6psi. This turbo will have the air filter. The boost from this turbo will go into the larger turbo, probably a OBS PSD turbo (non wastegated, good for 25psi+). So when you hit the skinny peddle, the small wastegated turbo will spool up to 6psi real quick, then the wastegate will kick in and it wont gain any more boost, and the exhaust will flow into the PSD turbo.

No real need for electronics, all you need is more fuel to spool both turbo's ;Sweet. Unlike a gasser you dont need to keep the air/fuel ratio in spec cause a diesel doesnt need to stay in that A/F specs. To much fuel and they smoke, to little fuel and they have less power.

I realize that diesels arent as touchy with A/F ratios... just figured that keeping it with steady power would be hard. But if you do not care if you have lean and/or rich spots I guess it would work fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online