Turbo Kits from Classic Diesel Designs

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings Oilburners! Today I am very happy to announce some more new products from Classic Diesel Designs, in the past I have offered a service to restore customer's turbo kits while pulling their engines in the shop for studs, reseals or other upgrades, with very good results. Its no secret that 25+ year old turbo kits can be hard to work with, and difficult to get the performance we all want due to tired turbos and leaking piping. Now, this restoration service is available to everyone whether your close to our San Antonio shop or across the country. I have made options available for customers to send in their own factory turbo or ATS 093 turbo kit to be rebuilt, or to purchase a complete kit from us and turbo their IDI. Along with the restoration service, all of the upgrades we offer for the IDIT platform is available with this package deal at a discounted cost, and the kit is fully customizable for the looks, and performance tailored to what each customer wants. I made this available just a few days ago on our website, and have mentioned it in a few *** and threads, and we sold out our entire inventory in just two days. This morning I woke up to numerous emails inquiring about when the kits will be back in stock, which prompted me to create a back order queue so customers can be guaranteed a turbo kit as soon as its available, with a fully refundable payment if you decide to change your mind, no obligation or hidden fees. I welcome ya'll to check out all 90 different upgrade combinations, and ask away with any questions or concerns! As usual thank you all for the continued support, here and on our facebook page!

https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/turbo-kits

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crud. I saw your post and added your kit to the list of "new" kits I was considering and was gonna call to chat. How long you think you're back-ordered?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crud. I saw your post and added your kit to the list of "new" kits I was considering and was gonna call to chat. How long you think you're back-ordered?
Currently the list is into September, it could get pushed back further since I won’t know if the incoming cores are usable until they are blasted and inspected, since not all cores are 100% reusable and it often takes three kits to make one good one.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill be adding a seperate item on the website for the turbo kit package+T04Z turbo, the website wouldnt allow me to create any more variants on the original post so I will have to spend some time to make it its own item. It wouldnt affect the wait time, Ive got plenty of core turbos themselves, its the piping and turbo kit parts that I am actually having a tougher time getting in good shape, most my turbos end up getting all new bearing housings and the only things reused are the compressor and turbine housings, and with the T04Z its only the ford specific turbine that is retained, unless you opt for the V band housing, then you will be getting a completely new turbo.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, there’s a lot to read but there’s a lot of concerns to address, I try and make sure there’s no surprises with the service or the project of adding a turbo to an idi.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great Wes! I was checking out the site the other day and saw that T04Z drop-in replacement. When I googled it all the hits said it's a ball-bearing unit, is that right? If so, you may want to add it as it's not on your page. Sounds like a great upgrade, I'm excited to see what it does to the shop truck when you swap it in!

Great work as always!

How do you feel this drop in would compare with Justin's S257sx-E? Looks like yours flows about 70lbs of air and his is 65lbs, so yours should win the top-end battle. How about low end, spool lag and efficiency?

Thanks!

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
That's great Wes! I was checking out the site the other day and saw that T04Z drop-in replacement. When I googled it all the hits said it's a ball-bearing unit, is that right? If so, you may want to add it as it's not on your page. Sounds like a great upgrade, I'm excited to see what it does to the shop truck when you swap it in!

Great work as always!

How do you feel this drop in would compare with Justin's S257sx-E? Looks like yours flows about 70lbs of air and his is 65lbs, so yours should win the top-end battle. How about low end, spool lag and efficiency?

Thanks!
I was literally trying to google a comparison yesterday. Both seem like great options and are similarly priced

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, its still a journal bearing, T04Z refers to the cold side cover, the stock turbo using a T04B frame cover, this turbo uses a 62-1 compressor wheel and T350 turbine wheel with basically the same bearing housing as the stock turbo to fit with the oil drain. Heres the compressor maps for the S257 and the 62-1 compressor wheel

You must be registered for see images attach

T04Z 62-1/T350
62mm/76mm Compressor Wheel, 4" Inlet, 2.5" Outlet, Ported Anti Surge Housing
62mm/66mm Turbine Wheel

S257 SXE
57mm/76mm Compressor Wheel, 3.5" Inlet, 2" Outlet
61mm/70mm Turbine Wheel

Basically, Justin's is going to be a better choice for low end power and mine will be close in spool up but be more efficient at higher boost levels. Ive already seen over 30 psi intercooled with it and a two plunger pump and still getting better as we get things fine tuned.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured this thread needed some more pictures, here’s a stock rebuild from today, comparing one coming in and one on its way out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online