Turbo. Is this right?

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
I have the ATS turbo with waste gate. I noticed black exaust all over the fire wall so took a look around. The down pipe was flopping loose. So I crawled under and was supprised by what I found. The pipe appears to just slide up into the turbo housing. No clamp? There is a braket which is connecting the pipe to the exaust manifold flange. The bracket was mounted between the flange and treaded part of the manifold. So it is basicly loose. It can slide up and down the bolt at will. There are eight rubber brackets holding the the exaust system to the frame. The whole thing seems a bit cheesy to me. How is the down pipe supposed to be mounted? Any pics oput there? Magoo

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magoo-

Yup, thats how it mounts. A cheesy setup indeed. I've been fighting exhaust leaks on my ATS system since I installed it in October. That one stupid bracket holds the down pipe to the manifold, and thats it.

So far, nothing has worked for me. I've got a line on some super high temp 3M exhaust manifold sealant that will supposedly fix it, but I'm waiting on a hot-rod building buddy at work to bring me some. There are a few people interested in the part number for this stuff, so as soon as I get it, I'll post up.

The rubber hangers holding the rest of the exhaust system up are normal- no need to worry there...

Ryan

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Ryan. You got to be kidding. For the cost of these units you would think they had a better set up. Are the 94s with the factory turbos the same way? I can weld cast so I may be popping that off and building a decent flange or clamp mount. Thats just nuts. Mine looks like Stevie Wonder installed the unit.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 94s factory downpipe has a flange that uses a V clamp like a normal turbo should.i spent 800.00 on my ATS upgrade kit only to have the issue as you with a nasty exhaust leak and pipes that dontfit and dont get me started on that stupid little bracket they use to mount the pipe to the manifold.if you look on page 2 or 3 in this forum you will find 2 posts by me about the system.one of them has pictures in it.if i didnt cut my factory downpipe in 3 pieces to get it out id be putting it back on.but since banks sells a downpipe that goes on like the factory pipe i might buy the banks pipe and put my stock outlet elbow back on it. :mad: :mad: :mad: -cuss -cuss ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magoo-

Nope, not kidding. I was shocked when I got my ATS kit in the mail and unboxed it. All that money, and it's just a poke-n-hope fit?

I actually drove to Denver, and went to ATS to ***** at them in person. They were really nice and all, but that's how it fits, and theres no upgrade for it. 94F450SD and I have discussed this previously- see his posts on page 2 or 3. I'm optomistic that some sealant will help, but at this point theres no guarantees...

Ryan

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
reklund said:
Magoo-

Nope, not kidding. I was shocked when I got my ATS kit in the mail and unboxed it. All that money, and it's just a poke-n-hope fit?

I actually drove to Denver, and went to ATS to ***** at them in person. They were really nice and all, but that's how it fits, and theres no upgrade for it. 94F450SD and I have discussed this previously- see his posts on page 2 or 3. I'm optomistic that some sealant will help, but at this point theres no guarantees...

Ryan

All you guys having troubles,why don't you just take it to a muffler shop and see if they will expand the end slightly so it fits tight.Just chamfer the elbow and hammer the pipe with a small sledge and 2x4on teh south end.Or see if you can take the elbow to a machine shop and have a groove machined inside to accept a peice of stove seal rope(the kind used in old wood burning cast iron jobbers) so the pipe slips up and though the rope like an O ring of sorts.Granted you shouldn't have to Re-engineer a new part.Sounds like something has happened recently cause this is the first time I can remember someone having trouble with the Upgrade kits since I have been on either boards(had my truck since 98 been over a TDS since early 03....another Log on before the Freight_Train I use now).

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
All you guys having troubles,why don't you just take it to a muffler shop and see if they will expand the end slightly so it fits tight.Just chamfer the elbow and hammer the pipe with a small sledge and 2x4on teh south end.Or see if you can take the elbow to a machine shop and have a groove machined inside to accept a peice of stove seal rope(the kind used in old wood burning cast iron jobbers) so the pipe slips up and though the rope like an O ring of sorts.Granted you shouldn't have to Re-engineer a new part.Sounds like something has happened recently cause this is the first time I can remember someone having trouble with the Upgrade kits since I have been on either boards(had my truck since 98 been over a TDS since early 03....another Log on before the Freight_Train I use now).

The pipe is already a fairly tight fit. Any tighter and add in the curve and tight quaters, you may not get it in. The problem as I see it is the down pipe has to rely on the rest of the exaust system to keep it in place. The down pipe only has a "floating" bracket which is connected to the motor via the manifold flange bolt. This allows the down pipe to move around. We all know how much vibration these motors have. How long before the fit vibrates itself out of round? Not to mention the rest of the system connected to the frame and with any over flexing of frame like going through a ditch hunting or something and it actually pulls the down pipe right out of the housing. Most if not all the big trucks I have worked on had a flex pipe from the turbo to the main exaust system. I am looking at pulling the turbo and welding in a collar so I can clamp the flex pipe in. One of these days.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
.Or see if you can take the elbow to a machine shop and have a groove machined inside to accept a peice of stove seal rope(the kind used in old wood burning cast iron jobbers) so the pipe slips up and though the rope like an O ring of sorts.

i was actually thinking about this the other day.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magoo said:
The down pipe only has a "floating" bracket which is connected to the motor via the manifold flange bolt. This allows the down pipe to move around.

thats supposed to be tight not loose.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to get a band clamp, one of the wide stainless types,used on commercial apps. and fit it to the joint, they make them in a step type for putting flex to straight tubing. Napa or a truck exhaust place, a buddy went to Azone and got the dumb look when asking for one I dont think it is a good setup either. I would have thought ATS would have used a vband or something.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Is the bracket loose?it is supoosed to be tight.No play,No movement.That might be your problem.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes no movement on the bracket it should be tight with no wiggle and as for the slip fit I had to use a sledge and block of wood to get mine all the way together no leaks here

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
typ4 said:
I am going to get a band clamp, one of the wide stainless types,used on commercial apps. and fit it to the joint, they make them in a step type for putting flex to straight tubing. Napa or a truck exhaust place, a buddy went to Azone and got the dumb look when asking for one I dont think it is a good setup either. I would have thought ATS would have used a vband or something.

wont work,been there done that on mine.you need to go from 3 1/2"down to 3".

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cuz they dont make the band clamps to step down 1/2".they are formed tojoin 2 pipes and the step down for that is less than 1/4".ive tried everything i could think of except some type of sealer or haveing the elbow machined for the woodstove rope seal.