Turbo installation completed; I have a question

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I have finished my Hypermax Turbo installation, including 2 inch body lift on the crew cab. The only thing I have not done is adjust the IP pump as suggested in the installation instructions. I am not looking to burn the tires off the truck and I don't want to overwork the motor so I am wondering if anyone has done a Hypermax and not increased the fuel delivery. At the moment we have 3 feet of snow on the ground and no hills in sight so a good road test won't be possible till spring. Thanks to all for your wisdom.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I didn't increase my pump when I first put my hypermax on. I can't say for sure if it was the turbo or the zf5 but I noticed a conciderable increase in get up and go. I think the zf helped off the line and then the turbo kicks in and pulled till I shifted (about 2500 to 3000).

You aren't getting all you can out of it by not increasing the pump some, but its your truck and (some of us anyway) are happy with safe than sorry.

I doubt you will hurt it by going a flat or two though. I know now that my motor was wore out when I bought the truck, it still made it 3500 miles with a trailer hauling everything we owned.

punk

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a banks on my truck with a new pump and new motor, it really woke it up i only turned the pump up by what the directions said (i dont remember what that was) and now i have it full bore and pull with it and everything it doesent ever get over 1000 degrees in the summer up a decent grade about 60-65 mph pulling a 12k trailor.

i would recommend leaving it as it is taking it for a drive, then turn it up to see if u like it more and u can keep going or bring it back down, its a simple procedure

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the installation instructions for the Banks turbo kit. They say 1/4 turn on the screw.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
That's the problem, with my 8,000 lb trailer still knee deep in snow I only have flat prairie land to road test the truck, no mountains here but I am going to BC Canada this summer. This is why I am not sure how much to turn up the pump, if at all. Truck runs great now but in the mountains it has had a sluggish time climbing before the turbo installation. The hypermax manual is a little vague in saying you can turn the pump up 1- 3 turns. So if anyone has had this experience I would appreciate knowing what they did with a Hypermax unit. Thanks.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the problem, with my 8,000 lb trailer still knee deep in snow I only have flat prairie land to road test the truck, no mountains here but I am going to BC Canada this summer. This is why I am not sure how much to turn up the pump, if at all. Truck runs great now but in the mountains it has had a sluggish time climbing before the turbo installation. The hypermax manual is a little vague in saying you can turn the pump up 1- 3 turns. So if anyone has had this experience I would appreciate knowing what they did with a Hypermax unit. Thanks.

1-3 Turns, or 1-3 Flats?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The hypermax instructions I got, have a graph that shows this much fuel yields this much more power. Im pretty sure the max for the pump is 2 turns, 6 flats.

I would just run it as is. pile a bunch of snow in the bed for weight and drive again. If it seems that it could be a little better, it isnt a hard process to turn the pump up or down. I wouldnt do it everyday, but I would do it before heavy hauls long distances, as long as you have a good working pyro. The pyro is your best indicator. If your running hot, turn it down some.

punk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online