TURBO FOR 6.9l

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been researching turbos and the hypermax kit. First with the Hypermax kit, the exhaust in routed through header "extensions" which seem like they wouldn't pose much of a challenge to fab. So, how would you go about sizing a turbo with a motor? Could I use a stock turbo from the first gen ford turbo diesels? Or a PSD turbo? What about twins? Could the 6.9 handle twins? It's all thought right now, looking for some answers, thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barney has twins(Flatlander) but he had a custom built block by DPS. The main thing I think he did to it was to add head studs. he would have to tell you if Ken did anything else special to it. If you search for his thread about the Moose Pump you'll find he can make up to 18psi at 85mph with the Moose Pump. I wouldn't try the twins or 18psi with stock head bolts and gaskets. A hypermax on the other hand would be just fine for a stock engine as long as you have good head gaskets and you be sensible about the boost and EGTs. I hav eonly heard good things about hypermax. PSD turbos and other unusual stuff is possible, it just requires a lot of fabrication. I have the ATS non gated system. I did not install it myself. My friend Rick(a real mechanic) did most of the work. It looked like a lot of work, mostly getting things to fit and taking down old, stock exhaust parts, plus, my kit was far from complete, cobbled together as it was and no real directions. These guys helped out with the ATS original instructions, but they were pretty general and I couldn't for the life of me get the whole set to print. I love my turbo...it makes a lot of a difference with the truck. I see it like this, if you already like your truck and want to keep it, the turbo will just make you love it more. If you have the big power addiction and the $$ to support it, it won't give you enough of a fix and you'll probably still wind up with a PSD or Cummins in a couple years. The main difference I saw was all of a sudden I was able to keep up with traffic on the interstate and when I come to a hill, I no longer lose power just increase boost.

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. I have been thinking about it, my buddy keeps grillin' me throw twins on it. In the future I just want one. Right now I do love the truck, love the sound and I'm not lookin for huge power or towing power, a truck, not a highway truck or a daily driver. This is a put around truck, haul some wood, some junk. I have my van for getting me back and forth to work. Thanks again.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
If you are into fabrication.....
Fab up 2 new exhast manifolds with the exit near the center. Bolt a turbo onto each manifold, and dump to a "hat" onto of the intake manifold. Turbos from junkyrad Dodge 2.2/ 2.5 should be about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online