Turbo clearances.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found some info for those interested. I called the place I get turbo parts from and got some specs for garrett t3,t4 center sections, used by Banks,ATS, and ford oem IDIT.
The housing bore is .6220-.6222, as high as .6225 even on new castings
The turbine shaft is .3999-.4000 standard size.
The Tech said there is allowed .003 to .0035 hsg. to bushing clearance.
.001 to.0015 on the shaft, which can stack up to .005. He said that can translate to about .020- .025 at the wheel end and said if it doesnt touch the housings dont worry about it the oil pressure will center it up. He says he has to explain this to lots of people who think it should be tighter.
They are a garrett warehouse and rebuilder and they have lots of parts. Ebay as turbo's are us. San bernadino.

There are oversize bushings available but the housing needs to be honed to fit them, and I have the capability to do this. I am going for tight .003 bore and let the shaft be wherever it ends up. The honed surface will be slicker that the reamed.
Just some info that might be handy.
Russ

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post couldn't have been more timely for me. Not IDI related but my cars' turbo, I just noticed yesterday when I took the intake piping off, is really loose. I am putting a dial indicator on it tomorrow to see how loose. It's a TO4E from ITS using a Garrett center section. I have confirmed they'll warranty it if it's out of spec (brand new in April 6k miles)

Now I have some numbers to use as targets to hopefully not hit. Thanks for the info.

suv7734

Reaction score
Good info to have ;Sweet We need to set up an area for the technical specs like this.
There should be a section with this information readily available, maybe with the "Tech Articles" section at the top but with it's own header? I know I keep repeating a lot of the same information since it can be difficult to find in the 'Search'.

Mel?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found some info for those interested. I called the place I get turbo parts from and.....
Russ

Russ

Does this mean you can get turbo parts for those of us looking....

I'm in need of the upgraded turbo outlet exhaust housing for the Stock 93/94 wastegated ATS turbo.

Cheapest I've found it is $167 U.S. plus shipping up here to the great white north....

Zigg :)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ

Does this mean you can get turbo parts for those of us looking....

I'm in need of the upgraded turbo outlet exhaust housing for the Stock 93/94 wastegated ATS turbo.

Cheapest I've found it is $167 U.S. plus shipping up here to the great white north....

Zigg :)
The housing comes only from ats, I can get all the other parts tho.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a 5 bolt T3 Internal wastegate flange correct. What makes the ATS elbow different than the Garrett ones? Is it the angle of the downpipe or some other spec? Curious that's all.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
THis is all good info. I was starting a post about turbos a little while ago. Never really went anywhere.
I have an old ATS non gated kit that I need a new cartridge for.
I also have a turbo Eclipse that a bought a bigger turbo for that I believe is a ball bearing, or at the minimum a 360 thrust center cartidge, and it has some play with it. But cant get it to touch the sides without pushing pretting good on it. So I think its alright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online