Turbo clearance

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I finally got around to dropping my new engine in along with an ATS non wastegated turbo setup last night on my '92 f350 cc dually.

Had nightmares trying to fit the turbo in. There just wasn't enough clearance between it and the firewall where it comes up over the turbo, to be able to get it onto the pedestal. I had to remove the studs from the turbo and use a couple of bolts and once installed there is only about 5/16" clearance between the top back of the turbo and the firewall.

Any ideas on what would be causing the tight clearance. I did put a new solid tranny mount on a couple of months back.

Could the body mount bushings be shot?

Thanks----------Robert

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the body mount bushings be shot?
take a pic of your body mounts and post it. chances are they are gone. CC's are really rough on body mounts especially if you travel on rough roads on a daily basis. The DDC solution may be in order for you. he went out and bought a bunch of hockey pucks and longer bolts:eek: My final fit for my ATS wg'd unit is pretty sizable on my '92. I don't even have any insulation on the turbo and nothing has cooked yet. oddly enough, the airflow in the engine compartment is pretty goodcookoo

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It'll probably be a few days before I can crawl under there and get pictures. I managed to crack a rib while playing acrobat popping that engine in, it's a bit tender right now :kick: .
I did manage to poke a flashlight in from the rear of the cab and the bushing back there looked pretty squashed . I haven't seen a new one in years though so no mental picture to compare to.

-----Robert

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put energy suspension cab mounts in and they picked up about 3/4 inch over the old ones. Summit is the best price.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick glace can often tell you if they're bad........If the cab body lines are lower than the bed body lines then the bushings under the cab are shot.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the cab tends to "creep" forward over the years since there is more braking force than acceleration force. There is a little play in the bolt holes for the cab mounts, the cab will probably move backwards and forwards about 1/2" total, maybe a little more.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A quick glace can often tell you if they're bad........If the cab body lines are lower than the bed body lines then the bushings under the cab are shot.

Unfortunately, I have a western hauler bed on there so the visual doesn't work, but I got to thinking, when I pulled the radiator core support off, there wasn't any rubber there, just some shims and spacers.
That's probably pretty much what the rest look like.

----------Robert

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
towcat said:
take a pic of your body mounts and post it. chances are they are gone. CC's are really rough on body mounts especially if you travel on rough roads on a daily basis. The DDC solution may be in order for you. he went out and bought a bunch of hockey pucks and longer bolts:eek:

Yep.;Sweet
If the cab bushings show any sign of squashing there done for.

A good set of bushings will help, but after taking the BFH to the firewall on install, I still had the creeps on the cab as Mr_robot said.
I think the cab creeps a bit more so with the urethane bushings being more rigid that the factor ones, but the hockey puck body lift cured all for me. Only cost me bout $20.00 to do.:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got energetic today and crawled under and took a couple of pictures. Side not, there was still some rubber on the radiator support mounts, but I couldn't see it till I cleaned the rust off ( I didn't know rubber could rust....must be some of that special ford rubber :dunno the rubber on the bottom was all split out and crumbly, but hard to see in the picture.
Here's the results:
You must be registered for see images

It doesn't look pretty.

------------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yep.;Sweet
If the cab bushings show any sign of squashing there done for.

A good set of bushings will help, but after taking the BFH to the firewall on install, I still had the creeps on the cab as Mr_robot said.
I think the cab creeps a bit more so with the urethane bushings being more rigid that the factor ones, but the hockey puck body lift cured all for me. Only cost me bout $20.00 to do.:D

That hockey puck idea sounds pretty good, but I'm in Arkansas. We don't have those things around here. I'm afraid if I ordered some they'd get hung up in customs at the Iowa/Missouri state line :rotflmao :rotflmao ( I have to get my hockey fix via big dish satellite from atlantic Canada TV ;Sweet

--------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm going to try this picture thing one more time:
------Robert

Attachments

• Cab mount 1.jpg
    Cab mount 1.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Cab mount 2.jpg
    Cab mount 2.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Cab mount 3.jpg
    Cab mount 3.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Cab mount 4.jpg
    Cab mount 4.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 2

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Looks to be time for a fresh set of cab bushings.

The energy suspension bushings are a good choice but I have noticed a bit more road vibration with them as they are stiffer than the factory ones. THe hockey pucks did soften it back up a bit.;Sweet

I found the hockey pucks at a sports outlet store. When I dropped a dozen of em up on the counter, the clerk asked me if they were for a body lift.:eek:
Dang she was good.:hail
I politely said yep and gave her my 12 bucks.:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks to be time for a fresh set of cab bushings.

The energy suspension bushings are a good choice but I have noticed a bit more road vibration with them as they are stiffer than the factory ones. THe hockey pucks did soften it back up a bit.;Sweet

I found the hockey pucks at a sports outlet store. When I dropped a dozen of em up on the counter, the clerk asked me if they were for a body lift.:eek:

I love it :hail
So I get this right, did you just drill them out and replace the bushings for stock height, or did you stack an extra puck on top of the bushings to gain an inch or so?

Thanks---------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like she's date-worthy material if she wasn't too ******* the eyes.
Too bad you're married...with children:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao