Turbo Charging

Cgillman45

Reaction score
I am in need of some help. I want to purchase the Banks Sidewinder turbo kit for my truck. I do not need the exhaust so I am looking at the 21042 kit that has everything except the exhaust, gauges and downpipe. Does anyone know the v band connection size for the exhaust side? I found a downpipe meant for the 1993-1994.5 stock turbos. Will it fit? It has the 2.75 v band connection.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-52103
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-21042

You must be registered for see images attach

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
I run a sidewinder, but at this point before you buy one. Just know there are better options for our trucks. Classicdieseldesigns.com sells complete kits, upgraded turbos, intercooler, and more. Idiperformance.com also sells complete upgraded kits. Just be prepared to wait as wait times are long. Also may be able to source a used kit from a member off here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a few weeks out on turbo kits since I can only coat and machine parts so quickly, but I sell a complete kit starting at $1850 shipped. The downpipe you are looking at does not fit a banks kit, you will likely have to call banks and get a price on a downpipe and the other parts to complete the kit.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a Banks Sidewinder on my 91, been on there since 2001. Good quality kit but time has moved on since it was designed. Got 100,000 miles on it. The only failure so far is a cracked flange on the crossover pipe. Here’s a few observations: The air filter is a k&N style and tiny for a 444cu in engine. It has to be replaced every few years because the heat and oil mist from the CDR cause the end cap to shrink to the point it won’t stay on. It is expensive from Banks and not available anywhere else.I solved this by building a “6637” style intake similar to a 7.3 Powerstroke. I know when the time comes the turbo is uncommon and expensive. Not easily upgraded either. Performance seems good but I don’t have other IDI’s to compare to. I did get rid of the Banks exhaust (too quiet) and put a 4” Powerstroke exhaust)except the downpipe)

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Performance wise it spools at 1350 rpm, that is the boost gauge comes off the peg at 1350. 8 lbs by 1800. Have the wastegate set there because not needing to work on a 200,000 mile engine that is untouched for 30 years (except the pump, injectors and usual accessories) is more important to me at this time than the last ounce of performance. With the wastegate unhooked it will hit the peg on the 15 lb boost gauge RIGHT NOW the top of 3rd gear with a load. Smoke and egt’s have always been very low. Have to follow it in another vehicle to see it, nothing visible in the mirror. Of course if you flatfoot it at 1200 rpm it will make black till it starts to clean up at 1400.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The only thing I can complain about is the fuel mileage. I don’t believe that can be blamed on the Banks turbo system. It was 17 or so but over the past few years it has had some fuel system problems I haven’t completely solved. It has gotten as low as 11 lately. Need to get that resolved....

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Serviceability wise I don’t find the system in the way much. You can get all 8 glow plugs out and run a compression test without removing anything difficult.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question to the OP, the kit you are looking at, is it used or new? Maybe new open box? Curious why the gauges, exhaust and DP are not included.

If you’re looking at used kits, I believe CDD can usually put together a complete factory ford/ATS kit that will for sure have a good turbo and give you more options in the future. Otherwise members here frequently come across these kits and post them up for sale in the parts forum.

Cgillman45

Reaction score
Aggie- I already have a 4 inch exhaust kit from dynamax designed for the 7.3na. I am only interested in this particular kit because it is $800 cheaper then with the exhaust and gauges. I was looking into the HyperMax but decided against it. I will take a look at the other kits suggested above. My rig only had 186k miles on it so I’m not super concerned about effecting anything drastically.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Justin's (R&D) kits, but I believe that Wes (CDD) can have you a full kit, intercooler included, and still beat the new sidewinder kit price by quite a ways. Even with the $800 off for no exhaust. As far as the Sidewinder system itself, I have to agree with Garbage Mechanic. I feel that these were about the best "stock" turbo kit that was available back when our trucks were new. It always seemed to be the easiest one to remove and install and, as an overall group, seemed to perform the best from my observations. They seemed to usually build 1 or 2 PSI more boost than even the ATS 093s.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a 4 inch exhaust kit from dynamax designed for the 7.3na. I am only interested in this particular kit because it is $800 cheaper then with the exhaust and gauges.

Got it, I didn’t realize the DP and gauges were optional items in the kit from banks. I knew the exhaust was but the DP is kind of specific to the system and I thought banks was pretty adamant about making sure egts were being monitored so I thought those were inseparable from the kit.

Cgillman45

Reaction score
Aggie- They offer a basic kit without gauges and exhaust through Summit from what I’ve found. I’m just not great at welding and know I couldn’t fab something myself. Unfortunately the only Dp they offer separately is for the 7.3 factory turbo setup.

nhwrench01

Reaction score
I would go for the kit from wes. from classic diesel design . in fact, I did buy a stock setup from him ( best move I've made for my truck yet). He has great knowledge of these engines , how they work, what to do, what they will take and so on. plus he is so willing to help and answer questions, its a no brainer for me. ( now I've dealt with him) great guy. same with russ (type4). got "o" rings gaskets oil feed line from him in a kit. both these guys know tons about this engine. and are willing to help. just my 02...

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... The air filter is a k&N style and tiny for a 444cu in engine. It has to be replaced every few years because the heat and oil mist from the CDR cause the end cap to shrink to the point it won’t stay on. It is expensive from Banks and not available anywhere else...

FYI, it is a standard K&N filter, # 41506. You can get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Banks-41506-Air-Filter/dp/B000ECYHHG

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual