Turbo Boost and highway speeds.

firfyter

Reaction score
Mine is an 87 F350 6.9 with an ATS turbo. Does anyone know what EGT not to exceed?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not exceed 1250* with the sensor in the exhaust manifold, if its in the banks location dont go over 1000*.

firfyter

Reaction score
Do not exceed 1250* with the sensor in the exhaust manifold, if its in the banks location dont go over 1000*.
Ok my ATS has the sensor at the turbo where the exhaust comes together from the two manifolds. So what should I go by? Thanks. I have been trying to keep it at 1000 or less but wondering if I could keep my foot in it while pulling hills.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my ATS has the sensor at the turbo where the exhaust comes together from the two manifolds. So what should I go by? Thanks. I have been trying to keep it at 1000 or less but wondering if I could keep my foot in it while pulling hills.

Sounds like a similar location to the Banks. Exhaust gases cool off some by the time they reach the manifold, I would suggest not exceeding 1k. Keeping EGTs down is all about not burning the exhaust valves.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty good idea. That way you can see the difference between the Banks location and the "right" location. You could also be really nice and let us know what the differences are.
There was a 100-degree difference between the two locations. The Banks location alway read 100 degrees lower.