Tuna can question?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a new crank case relief valve or what ever its called with the new grommets to go with it.
My question is do these things actually fail? I have cleaned my current original one many a times with diesel but no change in blow by that comes through it. I bought the new one as a maintenance piece of mind situation. How does one know when its time to replace it out of curiosity?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mel did a tech piece in new owners or stickies

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theirs a diaphragm in there I'm told that only allows vapors to flow one way. either way mine go in the trash and i run a RDT

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a new crank case relief valve or what ever its called with the new grommets to go with it.

If you haven't already installed it, could you accurately measure the diameter of the hole in the can? :) (The side that bolts to the intake). thanks.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's OK... I may just take mine off to measure it. (I fabricated the missing plate that captures the grommet between the CDR and the turbo valve cover bracket, but not sure how big to make the center hole).

Edit: found a good picture of the underside here: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/cleaned-my-cdr-valve.49649/

Measuring the distance in pixels across the outlet and dividing by the pixels between the mounting holes, which is 5-1/16" (5.064), tells me the snout OD is just about exactly 1" :)

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine trying to cut my oil burning. Didn't make any difference. What does make a difference is a clean air filter. Once it starts getting restricted oil usage goes way up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online