Cleaned my CDR valve

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My CDR valve has never been off for servicing for 370,000miles because neither myself or the PO were aware of it.
So I pulled it out today and washed it with diesel expecting to see tons of oily crud to come out of it but after filling it with diesel 3 or 4 times and swishing it around, the diesel was coming out clean. There was hardly more than an oily residue in this contraption. Is this what you fellas normally find when servicing your CDR's?

And mine would not come out of the valley so I cut the factory clamp at the base of the CDR and left the straight tube in place. I tried to get it out by wiggling it but to no avail....it just leaks a little vapor now when running haha, guess I ruined the gasket.;Really

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I cleaned mine with carb cleaner (it's all I had) and a lot of thick black crap came out.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Diesel fuel (oil) is not a solvent like gasoline is. If you do it again with lacquer thinner or gas, you will get the gunk pouring out (if there is any in there).

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange indeed..........:dunno

Maybe I did it wrong?

That's a grommet in the valley pan. The CDR has a rubber diaphram in it, only let air/vapor flow one direction. Blow in the side that goes into the intake horn, no air should pass that way, if it does it's shot.

Attachments

• IDI CDR.jpg
    IDI CDR.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 146

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Bull,
Its not my thread but I am tryin to get mine worked out. Is there also a gromet on the intake side? Or does the CDR sit as is against the intake?

Just to make sure on which side to blow in, it would be the side shown facing the camera, the back side of the can. Not the hose end.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure on which side to blow in, it would be the side shown facing the camera, the back side of the can. Not the hose end.

Yeah the side to the camera. There is a rubber gasket where it fastens to the intake horn.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Internatonal and Ford sells those gaskets. At one time the CDR came with those gaskets but not any more...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ut Oh....no gasket on mine. Can we even buy the grommets?

You could use an O'ring for the gasket for the intake horn, some auto stores like Carqest have various size grommets, try them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK guy's here ya go CDR/PCV parts. All these can be found in the PARTS BIN in the IDI tech articles. Every part for the IDI engines 6.9 and 7.3 can be found there from the block to bolts, with the IH# to Ford#.

Compliments of towcat--oldbull8--and others

FORD
CDR/PVC E3TZ 6A665 A
TUBE E8TZ 6A892 A
GROMMET E3TZ 6A892 A

IH
CDR/PVC N 1 RVE3TZ6A665AJ
TUBE N 1 RVE8TZ6A892AJ
GROMMET N 1 RVE3TZ6A892AJ

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to the PART'S BIN, maybe Mel could put that also in the heading in the Forum "IDI Tech Articles". Seem's like hardly anyone knows it is there for parts numbers.
Might help.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Diesel fuel (oil) is not a solvent like gasoline is. If you do it again with lacquer thinner or gas, you will get the gunk pouring out (if there is any in there).

It has always been preached on here and thedieselstop to NOT use gas or harsh slovents as they will ruin the diaphram in the CDR valve. Diesel has always seemed to be the cleaner of choice as it is not harsh but it does clean. Im really wondering if there is in fact anything in mine as I sloshed fuel aroung a lot and it didn't take long till the fuel came out clean.cookoo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7