Tube size ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And it's not that efficient as a exhaust brake.
You would need upgraded valve springs for it also, otherwise you'd start floating valves.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i had thought of using it as a e- brake. But i ain't upgrading the valve springs, and i don't want more problems, so it'll just be....there

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
you cant buy an exhaust brake with built in wastegate and the wastegate prevents the need for valve/spring upgrades.

thats what i have ;Sweet

jsut my couple pennies about ebrakes

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
btw if its a stock psd those turbos can do like 30+ psi. im sure you plan to turn it down but without motor work the turbo will always be a little oversized for the application. If no motor work a smaller turbo would give you better spool, low end, throttle response. Either way good luck! a gentleman around here has a holset hx35 doing 20psi and he seems to like it. Im a big holset fan though, they are awesome turbos

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the EBPV pedistal delete makes it alot easier to replace the gaskets on the up pipes also.
there like 120 ish bucks, and make it look alot cleaner.
no EBPV code to throw on an IDI :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well with the obs powerstroke tp38, it's not gated. (1.10 exhaust housing) The EBPV is just for faster warmup (well technically probably designed as a emissions device) but you can use it for a exhaust brake. It does work, just not that well.
Now the sd 7.3 has the gtp38 which is gated. (.84 exhaust, iirc)
On a powerstroke, they can do 30+ psi. But, it's from the fueling. A idi would be hard pressed to get near that. A otherwise stock idi with maxed fueling will be near stock obs powerstroke fueling. So it's actually a decent match, just a hair laggy.
So while you could get good boost from a tp38 with a smaller exhaust housing, you would do fine with the gtp38 stock.

Holsets seem to be alright. But you better have it sized right. Otherwise if you bark it once, that could be the end of its life.

the EBPV pedistal delete makes it alot easier to replace the gaskets on the up pipes also.
there like 120 ish bucks, and make it look alot cleaner.
no EBPV code to throw on an IDI :D

Mines been unhooked and deleted for awhile. No code.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 01 throws it, i ment to go to riff raff to get the delete module, but with diesel crap injectors, it just sits.
i thought about selling it, but hell, id rather keep it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and its just a truck with ****** injectors...lol first things first...
then i may get a programmer for it, since my IDI is the daily driver now.
i could easily buy 2 IDI's for the price of this truck, and make one run on WMO!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch jay, I'm not planning on doing more than studding the block, but i have this one on hand is why i planned on using it.

I hope it works well, from what I've read, and what I've seen, the TP38 spools higher thru the rpm band on the older PSD, not exactly what i was wanting, but i guess it'll be ok.
I'm not building a race car lol

But yeah,I'm going to try it without the wicked wheel first, if i get close to the numbers I'm looking for then I'll stay with that, if not then I'll get one

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
May be able to find a cheaper one somewhere. But here's one. http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garrett-tp-38-blank-deleted-pedestal-94-97/
Then can get a blank outlet. But I prefer to just remove the butterfly and pin, then drill and tap the holes for a pipe plug.
On my psd, she really starts screaming around 2200 rpm. When I get the 1.0 housing on, it'll be way better. I've heard should help the boost to come on about 500 rpm earlier.
I'm on stock programing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got mine from riff raff. in the link jasper posted, but mine was a 99-03, which explains the price diff

hell if youre putting it on a indirect injection engine, make your own.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check that out, if i don't delete it, and just remove the flap, it should be fine as long as it don't leak right ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin