TTB Trouble

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of an 85 ttb front end, the trouble is the way the brakes are retained is very poor. The bolt that retains the little I-beam broke off and was re-drilled but at a bad angle that allows the caliper to literally fall out and rub against the wheel. I went to both the dealer and napa with no luck in finding a replacement.

What I have found is a ttb axle out of a 96 f250 with a better braking system. My question is, does anyone know anything about the differences in these axles. I would like to just replace the steering knuckle out but I'm not sure that the 96 knuckle would fit on the 85 axle, if there is a difference in the ball joints. Any help would be appreciated.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The 86 ttb is a Dana 44hd
The 96 ttb is a Dana 50. I would swap the whole Dana 50. Currently doing said swap with my 86

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Also knuckles will not swap

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
So the dana 50 should mount with without much trouble? Would I be able to take the diff carrier out of the 44 and put it in the 50 to keep the ratio?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
MMM... I think his might be a Dana 50. As I understand it, the ext cab diesels of that vintage had the Dana 50 where as the single cab diesels had the Dana 44HD

I may be wrong, have been before, and will be again....many times

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 44 and 50 are easy to tell. Look at the locking hub. Dana 50 hub will be about the same size as the wheel center hole. Dana 44 is drastically smaller. Also I believe the center with the gears is marked 44 or 50. The centers don't interchange as far as I know.

I would probably swap the whole ttb if they are different. If they are both 50's then I think you should be able to swap the knuckles out.

Any chance you could find the caliper bracket for your current TTB at the salvage yard that doesn't have a modified bolt position?

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
Almost everything at the local salvage yard is bronco or 2wd. New axle is a 50 and old one is a 44. Does anyone know about these using different tapered shims? If they did would it not be because of a suspension change and the ones on my current setup should be reused?

Ol' Smoky

Reaction score
Update: New dana 50 went in in less than one day, new brake pads, rotors, and calipers. Also pretty much every seal, cleaned out hubs completely, all new grease, new bushings on the axle pivots. The dana 44 differential bolted right to the new axle, halfshafs had all the same splines but were much heavier.

Now I have new problems, the brakes feel very spongy, they were bled twice with no imprivement, they were not as bad on the old axle. Would the new brakes have larger pistons and it cant get enough fluid to apply them. I have a f-150 master cylinder and vacuum booster out of a 95 and Idont know what the differences may be.

I also have a camber issue now, I took the truck to a shop to do an alignment today and got more than I bargained for. They called me and said that there was a bad tie rod end and they would not align the truck until it was fixed. They also said that my crossmember to frame bolts and steering box bolts were loose. Wanted to charge me a total of $500, but I said I would fix it and take it back for the alignment. Got home and put it on the lift, tie rods had no slop, steering box bolts were tight, crossmember to frame had rivots. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

jasonhughes

Reaction score
Torqued the radius arm nuts not just did it good n tight right?

from the wheels and work in. Usually the easiest way I find to do it when I have camber issues on the bronco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online