ttb problems

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
:mad::mad: so i justput back otgether my passenger front axle cuase it opulled itself out last week. and drove on it fr a week.. then all of a sudden my damn u joint(wich i replaced brand new) snaped... the cap busted this whoe system is beating me up guys. what could be binding?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you go in there in the first place? The axle pulled out of the pumpkin?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Which axle slid out of the diff? Drivers side is held in externally and passenger (long with center joint) has a clip or snap ring inside... IIRC

In any event, don't sweat this is an easy fix... Unbolt TTB axles and brackets, drag it out, roll a D60 under it.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Well it was passenger side..and the c clip came out of the hub so it slid back..no big deal i replaced u joints and all this blah blah blah...after backing out in four wheel drive yesterday..not going afst at all..wappp snaped a new joint and now i need a new mothaf***** drive shaft....and ive been looking fora d60 for a lonnnnng time...im at the point of selling this thing..too much money and time spent on things lkie this

Edit: the ujoint caps now slide right threw on one of the holes on the longer part of the drive shaft. Therefore i cant use it

And anyone elses tires lkie snap inward when goiing in reverse?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was passenger side..and the c clip came out of the hub so it slid back..no big deal i replaced u joints and all this blah blah blah...after backing out in four wheel drive yesterday..not going afst at all..wappp snaped a new joint and now i need a new mothaf***** drive shaft....and ive been looking fora d60 for a lonnnnng time...im at the point of selling this thing..too much money and time spent on things lkie this

Edit: the ujoint caps now slide right threw on one of the holes on the longer part of the drive shaft. Therefore i cant use it

And anyone elses tires lkie snap inward when goiing in reverse?

I haven't done it(yet) but it's probably not too hard to break a u-joint if you turned it sharp on drive pavement in 4x4. Sometimes you can't help it, but when I am in that situation I do not force it. When you go to turn, you can hear the power steering box straining and the whole truck heaves up. I just turn it slightly and go backwards and forwards till I get going the right direction. Most of the time it's at the end of my driveway which is gravel and steep, and I need 4x4 to get up the hill with a load, but I have to put it in 4x4 down on the pavement where it's level.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Yes i agree..with the no 4X4 on pavement deal..but i was on sand..so i am supper confues

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Even on sand, if the wheels were cranked over hard, things will still bind. U-Joints do not like to work at a 45 degree angle. In the newer 4x4's with the CV's in the front instead of U-Joints, they do not bind near as bad....

Even on sand, with enough torque and the wheel cranked hard, it could break a shaft or joint.

Normally the only time I run 4x4 in my truck is on snow and ice covered slick roads, and on a hard turn my truck will twist and learch just like on pavement. It is the driveline not the tires to the ground.....

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Even on sand, if the wheels were cranked over hard, things will still bind. U-Joints do not like to work at a 45 degree angle. In the newer 4x4's with the CV's in the front instead of U-Joints, they do not bind near as bad....

Even on sand, with enough torque and the wheel cranked hard, it could break a shaft or joint.

Normally the only time I run 4x4 in my truck is on snow and ice covered slick roads, and on a hard turn my truck will twist and learch just like on pavement. It is the driveline not the tires to the ground.....

thanks for all the info! but what it was is i backed up straightabout 15 ft then turned right and heard the snap...

but also i noticed if i back and get out and look my tires are on an angle like / \
when the drive straight they are like this i i

sorry for the vauggge descriptions hah

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The change in camber is normal. Almost all IFS trucks change camber when in reverse. To what degree depends on the health of your ball joints and tie rods.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just loaded up all my TTB parts to go to scrap (D60 in mine since last summer) - no joke, I loaded it up today. I can pull serviceable axles with u-joints if you want them. The only thing wrong with my TTB was the /\ due to bushings; I got a deal on a 350 with all the front end there so the D60 cost me nothing after the 350 chassis went to scrap.

If you want me set the axles aside for you let me know. I can ship them free to Mississauga Ontario anytime, or direct from Ogdensburg NY - but you have to wait! I will be down there in two or three weeks :dunno I have been storing them for six months and want it all gone.

I can't imagine breaking u-joints that easy (as you describe) - what brand did you put in? I suggest finding a good price on Spicers.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I broke a spicer ujoint putting it in when I rebuilt my 60. Talk about pissed. Blew the end right out of the cap. It was probably defective to start or it was stressed putting it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online