Trying to diagnose

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
OK here's the deal. Here at my current job I'm the fleet manager (among other things.) We have (2) '00 F350 7.3L, (1) 99.5 7.3L and (1) '05 6.0. There was another '05 but it was such a POS that Ford boguht it back. All of these trucks except one of the 7.3's are leased through Enterprise.

Now for the problem. Brought the '05 into the local dealer for a transmission issue about 8 weeks ago. T/H light was blinking, losing trannie fluid, losing power sterring fluid. The hydrobosster was replaced, no biggie. The trannie took 3 weeks to diagnose and they said they thought, thought being the operative word, they had the trannie problem fixed. Something to do with a programming issue adn a stuck solenoid somewhere. Cool. Well teh truck went out on a run to Chicago with a load of rubber in the bed. Call it 3000# on the bed. The driver called me and hadn't made it into MS when the check engine light and t/w haul lights came on. He drove it up and back. As soon as it came back in, I got in and left out ot the dealer. Well, as I was driving (had my foot in teh firewall trying to get it to mess up) I looked out the passenger window and the ******* was smoking more than my '01 7.3L with the 100hp tune in and the trannie was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. I let off the go pedal, it shifted and drove somewhat OK. The turbo was still making funky noises though.

Well that was 4 weeks ago, and Ihaven't heard jack spit since. I finally got Enterprise's Regional Fleet Manager to call the dealer and they said that they were still trying to diagnose it, btu they couldn't duplicate the problem, but they know it's there. It only occurrs under certain temperatures and loads, blah blah blah. Point is we've paid 2 months of payments and commercial truck insurance for this truck to sit at the shop. Worst part is these ******** haven't even calle dot say they are looking at it. Nothign. Not a peep.

First, ahs anyone else ever had a similar issue with these trucks? If so, what was the problema dn solution? Also, I've herd it takes an act of Congress to get Ford to buy a truck back. Is that correct? :mad:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Find another dealer.

Not sure on the buy back issues/procedure but if it's leased it seems to me that it is Enterprise's problem not your's.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya dealer sucks, the smoke, and lack of power, sounds like egr, the funky noises could be a turbo, so it could need a turbo or and/or an egr valve

duplicating problems with these trucks is easy as pie, if you know what to look for. problem is to many ******* ****** truck techs dont know what the pid values need to be, so they have no clue whats normal and whats not so they can 'duplicate the problem'. we have a *** like that at my work, im trying to run him out of the dealer, im an aprentice and know far more then he does on 6.0 driveability

was the funky noise from the turbo sounding like a chatter? almost as if the truck had a wastegate and was blow off boost pressure?

the smoke, probably an internally sticking egr valve, or the seals on it leaking, thats a comon problem, and a 5 minute diag and fix if its really as bad as it sounds

i get mad at other dealers, i wish i could fix every 6.0 in the country, cuase i would do it right, the first time...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7