Trying out my DTI timing unit

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTI seemed to be working fine again tonight.
And I finally got the timing to @ 9.5.
Once you mess with those ignition pump nuts a dozen or so times it's a piece of cake. ;-)
You don't even have to remove anything. Stubby open end wrench on the passenger side nut, ground down box end wrench on the driver's side nut, and regular open end on the top nut.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTI seemed to be working fine again tonight.
And I finally got the timing to @ 9.5.
Once you mess with those ignition pump nuts a dozen or so times it's a piece of cake. ;-)
You don't even have to remove anything. Stubby open end wrench on the passenger side nut, ground down box end wrench on the driver's side nut, and regular open end on the top nut.
Soo....uhhhh..... vacationing in NW Florida anytime soon?

Really though, is it a crazy noticable difference?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice a difference while driving other than the type of smoke it's putting out the exhaust. (which is why I even bothered to check the timing)
I really don't have much seat time in this truck. Maybe someone that drives theirs daily would feel a difference after adjusting their timing.
If you're ever in Maine I'd be happy to check your engine's timing. :)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no business in Maine, but don't think I won't take you up on that if I do.
I didn't notice a difference while driving other than the type of smoke it's putting out the exhaust. (which is why I even bothered to check the timing)
I really don't have much seat time in this truck. Maybe someone that drives theirs daily would feel a difference after adjusting their timing.
If you're ever in Maine I'd be happy to check your engine's timing. :)
You are officially a pro!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Edit: I studied your picture more, I can see the metal loop under the "pezo" clamp. Sweet,

I'm pretty sure @IDIBRONCO is discribing a loop that you clamp a regular gas burner timing light spark plug clamp to.
Yes. That's the one.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine on Ebay for under $200 and it has the transducer ring/clamp for the fuel line that Bronco mentions.
Here's a pic from one that's on Ebay now that I added an arrow pointing to the clamp.
That's the same one I just bought. $195 plus shipping and tax

77 F-250

Reaction score
I used a pinch clamp to set the RPM and use a cheap gas timing light. I like the timing light method because I can use the buttons on the machine to get the timing amount.
Another issue I ran into with this unit on my buddy's boat was #1 had a bad injector. Moved to 2 and the reading was rock steady.