Trying out my DTI timing unit

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One more thing...does 14* at 700 rpm and 12* at 2000 rpm sound like my meter is set up/working properly?
I don't know anything about timing specs at idle. I will say that it really means nothing since the engine is timed at 2000RPM.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure nuff, there's a timing light attachment. When you get one and have it figured out, feel free to take a vacation to majestic NW Florida and bring it with you. I got a 300 gallon tank of oil that I can top you off with!
How much more is that?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much more is that?
I have no idea, but when I was looking at that stuff I did see that they are available.

I like the things that clamp on a injector line and you attach a regular timing light to it. That's the thing I kinda plan on getting, eventually.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this work?
You must be registered for see images attach
No, that's a regular timing light for a gas vehicle with real plug wires.
But they do make a thingamajig that attaches to the injector line and creates a pulse that a regular timing light with work with.

Or the DTI thingy has a specific timing light for it specifically.

Look at Big Bart's thread about timing, there's links to all the gear.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It should work. The newer DTI units like mine have a metal loop (maybe called a transducer loop) in the cubby at the back, under the lid hinge that's used in place of the spark plug wire. Attach the spark plug lead to it and that will give you the signal. At least that's my understanding from reading the instructions.
On second thought, after looking at that light for myself, I don't think it will work. It has to be an adjustable light and I didn't see where it's listed as being adjustable. The DTI light above it that's listed for $80 is the one that you will need. It came out to right under $100 for me. You can use a different gas engine timing light as long as it's adjustable.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the weird readings, I found this in the manual for the DTI unit:
“The transducer should be dry. Under wet conditions readings can be erratic. If erratic readings are observed, remove transducer, wipe line and transducer with a clean, dry cloth and spray transducer, on all surfaces, with a water displacing material such as WD- 40® and re-clamp on the fuel line.”

By “transducer” they mean the clamp on the fuel line. I wonder if this was the problem before.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that too. It was definitely not wet. But I did use WD-40 anyway to maybe help make better contact.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should work. The newer DTI units like mine have a metal loop (maybe called a transducer loop) in the cubby at the back, under the lid hinge that's used in place of the spark plug wire. Attach the spark plug lead to it and that will give you the signal. At least that's my understanding from reading the instructions.
On second thought, after looking at that light for myself, I don't think it will work. It has to be an adjustable light and I didn't see where it's listed as being adjustable. The DTI light above it that's listed for $80 is the one that you will need. It came out to right under $100 for me. You can use a different gas engine timing light as long as it's adjustable.
I didn't realize there was a "newer" model. All the ones I've seen and have read about on here are the "military surplus" from the gulf war. Thank you for clearing that up.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a "newer" model. All the ones I've seen and have read about on here are the "military surplus" from the gulf war. Thank you for clearing that up.
I got mine on Ebay for under $200 and it has the transducer ring/clamp for the fuel line that Bronco mentions.
Here's a pic from one that's on Ebay now that I added an arrow pointing to the clamp.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine on Ebay for under $200 and it has the transducer ring/clamp for the fuel line that Bronco mentions.
Here's a pic from one that's on Ebay now that I added an arrow pointing to the clamp.
That's the "pezo" that attaches to the fuel line, isn't it?
Edit: I studied your picture more, I can see the metal loop under the "pezo" clamp. Sweet,

I'm pretty sure @IDIBRONCO is discribing a loop that you clamp a regular gas burner timing light spark plug clamp to.

There's a couple of these diesel timing devices that are just a "pezo" clamp and a little box(about the size of a pack of cigarettes) with a wire loop that you just clamp a regular timing light on. When I finally invest in a diesel timing thing, I think this is the kind I'm going for.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow
What a pita...
Fwiw
The idle reading is wack on the tach n time from what I recall...
Clean and straight section of inj. Line , try # 4?
Clean iut the dampner groove, 2 business cards tween it and probe.
Wedge of wood for holding open the throttle lever
And
Go

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Sounds easy enough. But it seems like I'm not the only one that struggled.
I think I had it working properly yesterday. And I haven't moved anything. So after I move my pump tonight I will hopefully still get accurate readings from my DTI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online