Try a M.D. BOMB party?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
No, 4-5hrs if any of my kids help. I was just reading up on the distructions for the water/**** kit. Is he recommending the one with the hobbs switch, or something like it? I'd still like to try some gov. springs, delivery valves, and the Schwitzer. You'll be hitting 14's in the quarter in no time.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm ordering the scwitzer turbo this week. I think I've added enough fuel to warrant the bigger turbo. :draw

If there's not enough fuel, the 270 pump definately will. ;Really

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Duke, Instead of a whole new pump, why not add laser cut delivery valves? JR Adkins has 'em for a killer price(around $200). I think the 466 uses a little larger orifice than the 6BT's, but 95% sure they will swap in. How about going to a fuel injection shop and finding out the stock orifice size, then you can call up JR, and get some with XX more cc's than stock.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

I'm not sure. But if I've added more fuel, I want to make sure I keep-up the air-end of the equation. I know I'll be doing the bigger pump someday, so I thought I might as well get the turbo now. If anything at all, it'll bring EGT's down.

Dale,

Not a bad idear. Kinda runs along the lines of the PM I sent you about modifying Rober Bosch pumps. ;Sweet
The only thing I don't like about it is that you won't know for sure how much fuel you'll be pumping, and might wind up with too much fuel and EGT & smoke problems. :puke:

I'm not going to go nuts with mine. I just want a solid HP/TQ gain and be very responsible with the EGT's. :angel:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I finally did it, I tightened my gov springs 2 clicks and added the #0 plate from my dodge. First thing I noticed was the turbo is singing a little stronger. It does help a little over the stock settings, but word to the wise: Don't buy an aftermarket fuel plate for this style pump. It's easier to grind the stock one down to a #100 or 0. I'd say swapping the plate is about 10hp/30 or so pounds of torque more, considering the stocker was at full fuel position ;) . As for the added rpm, it did help for accel from 0 to 50mph. The shifts are a little closer overlapped, yet the trans temp doesn't move much faster than before. Idle is smoother and picked it up from 650 to 750 at idle, in gear. At the top end, it's hard chargin' all the way to the 3050 de-fuel point. It'll hit 3100-3150 no load. If I just had a shift kit in the allison. Comparison: I can keep up with a bone stock new DT466E empty moving van and be passing it by 40 mph. Ya, it'll do for now! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same great results here. The gov springs may have been the most useful mod for me. The extra 200RPM gave me ~3 more MP road speed (that's a lot when your top speed is 57MPH LOL ) and nicer revs in between shifts.

I used to top at 2650. Now I'm at 2850.

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
;Sweet I bet if you drove one of the other DTs at work the difference would feel drastic. Have any of your co-workers driven your truck?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Markinter said:
;Sweet I bet if you drove one of the other DTs at work the difference would feel drastic. Have any of your co-workers driven your truck?

I try not to let them drive it, but everyone that does really likes it. We have a 210hp '81 DT466, it's the sad case & makes mine feel like an empty pickup. I drove with a 5k pound trailer today, it moves it better than before. I'm gonna see into getting the tranny looked at, shifts way too slow(like it's double clutching). I had to do my gov springs, Duke was making me feel guilty that I didn't(unintentional of course :D ).

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided not to order it yet. I think the trans conversion's gonna eat up all my play money for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online