Truck's got a new bed

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been slowly working on my '86 when the time permits, hoping to turn her into a purdy truck yet. I finally got my aluminum flatbed I've been wanting. ;Sweet It's nice to have all that space on the bed when I'm working on the truck, kinda like a mobile work bench. I also welded up some nerf bars on the old girl, 3" piping from the Detroit refinery, used to be Butane flowing down them pipes. Won't be long and the paint's gonna be flying. I plan to paint her up in black. I'm going to try and post some pics here, but I'm not sure how.

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help ya on the picture thing but it sounds like its coming together. Can't wait to see the pics.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
That's one pretty stout rig. Looks like the body is straight just in need of primer and paint. Any rust? Hopefully you won't need much body filler or need to replace any metal. That right rear door does look like it may need some attention at the bottom, though. It'll look great when you get it done. How's the mechanical part of the truck?

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
That's one pretty stout rig. Looks like the body is straight just in need of primer and paint. Any rust? Hopefully you won't need much body filler or need to replace any metal. That right rear door does look like it may need some attention at the bottom, though. It'll look great when you get it done. How's the mechanical part of the truck?

Thanks, yes it has some rust under the cab, but not much. Both the rear doors look like someone welded a patch panel on the bottom of each one. Maybe the previous owner did this? Mechanically it's so-so. The tranny is still shifting great, and it has a NP205 T-case behind it. The old 6.9 is tired and could use an overhaul. The other truck that's in the background of the pictures is my donor truck. It has a running 7.3 with the ZF-5speed. Now that I have my flat bed on and step bumpers welded up, I can focus my attention on gutting the other truck and putting the engine and transmission in my 86.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
That will be nice having the 7.3 and ZF. Do you have a turbo for the 7.3? Might as well do that while it's out of the truck. You'll never be sorry with the turbo.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I don't have a turbo system for an IDI, but I do have a garrett from our old John Deere 5030. I am going to try and build my own system, with the turbo mounted under the truck by the T-case. It will be similar to the Squires turbo system made for Camero's and Vett's.
I will have to com up with an electric pump to move the oil from the turbo back up to the engine. This will be an experiment, and I will keep ya'll posted if things work out.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Pipeliner_86 said:
It will be similar to the Squires turbo system made for Camero's and Vett's. I will have to com up with an electric pump to move the oil from the turbo back up to the engine. This will be an experiment, and I will keep ya'll posted if things work out.
i've known several people to do a turbo like this...biggest problem seems to be getting the oil scavenger pump to work reliably...other than that you should be able to do it for much less than a turbo kit would run (especially if you've already got a decent turbo)